Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I installed a CAI on his '95 mustang 3.8 and now he says the engine sometimes hesitates when driving. Is there another mod that's commonly done while installing a CIA..like a bigger MAF or throttle body, or something? Does the MAF sensor need recalibrated maybe or is this hesitation a seperate problem?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My son and I installed a CAI on his '95 mustang 3.8 and now he says the engine sometimes hesitates when driving. Is there another mod that's commonly done while installing a CIA..like a bigger MAF or throttle body, or something? Does the MAF sensor need recalibrated maybe or is this hesitation a seperate problem?
No no other modifictations are needed with a cai. Check to see if you have any leaks around any of the silicone couplers

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah first make sure all your connections are sealed tight. if you're reusing the stock mass air flow sensor, try cleaning the sensor with some mass air flow sensor cleaner. also, if the cold air intake moved the mass air flow sensor from it's factory position, it should be adjusted in the tune. i'm not sure if it's off enough to cause a hesitation or if the car is adjusting enough for it.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^All of this, and check if he kept the round metal, mesh 'grill' inside the MAF sensor. This is there to straighten and smooth out the air flow.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Also make sure any sensors you disconnected (ie the IAT sensor, MAF sensor) are connected properly

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also when i step on gas hard the car studders and hesitates and sometimes you have to let off and get back on it, any ideas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have you confirmed no vacuum leaks? Has the car thrown any codes? Seems like a vacuum and/or misfiring issue.

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
55 Posts
i tried looking for vacum leaks i didnt see any, is there a best way to locate them?, there are a few codes like an 02 sensor(not sure which one) and a crank shaft position sensor?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You DEFINITELY have to fix them. Both are vital, more-so if it's a front sensor than rear. Crankshaft position sensor is a must. I would fix whatever issues you have with those, and if it's still a problem do a thorough investigation for vacuum leaks. I've read people using a spray bottle of soapy water to spray key areas. I'm sure someone can give a more thorough explanation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you replace the crankshaft position sensor, make sure you bring the old one to compare. Auto Zone's did not match mine, even though it was listed for my specific model. Advanced Auto Part's did.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How hard is it going to be getting the 02 senors out, would it be easier just to take to a garage, the car also hesitates when you first start it up and put it in reverse

·
Registered
71 Posts
What are the specific codes you're getting? They should be easy. I have long tubes so mine are very accessible. Assuming these are stock headers, so i forget how high up they are. It's just a matter of unplugging them and unscrewing them out. I believe a 7/8" wrench is what is needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
im not sure its been a couple weeks since i had the codes read

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you should get the codes pulled again first, to see exactly what the car is telling you. Then, go from there. Both the O2 sensors and crankshaft position sensor are easy to do.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I heard a good way to check for vacuum leaks is to create one on purpose, meaning remove a hose from a known vacuum source. If engine speed rises, you have a leak somewhere. If engine speed drops or cars tries to stall, then there are no vacuum leaks.
It weird but an easy and effective way to tell for sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Really? That's interesting. Never heard that before. Definitely the easiest. Good tip.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How hard is it going to be getting the 02 senors out, would it be easier just to take to a garage, the car also hesitates when you first start it up and put it in reverse
Sometimes the O2 sensors are rusted or seized on there pretty good. Might need some penetrating oil to break them free. I agree with what ohfour said about replacing those sensors...they are a MUST if you expect the computer to get the correct information.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts