Modded Mustang Forums banner

Engine squeeking at idle

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  HMUSN 
#1 ·
When its idling I can hear a low squeaking noise. Is this the belt and tensioner doing this?

#2 ·
squeaking or squealing? could be either one. or it could be any of your belt driven accessories. If you want to check you can take the belt off and then start the car, if there is no more squeaking then it is one of your accessories, if its still there then its something else.

#5 ·
run the car with the belt off for a few seconds and see if its still squeaking ect...if its not then its more then likely your camshaft position sensor drive assembly....its about $125 or so from ford. if its not squeaking with the belt off then its a pulley or bearing somewhere in one of the accessories.

#6 ·
idk where people are getting this idea that the cam syncro, or any acc. on the camshaft snout is going to cause a squeaking. All those parts are fully covered in oil while the car motor is spining. The chance of any of those parts making a "squeaking noise" is damn near impossible. thats like a spun bearing making a squeaking noise. those parts are more likely to chatter, and even then there would have to be an excessive amount of wear for that to even happen. I'm talking about miles and miles on the car. and even then the car would have to be run at that certain part of the motor with no oil to cause the scoring that would make it chatter NOT SQUEAK. And IF that were the case you'd spin a rod bearing before that would even happen. actually a few rod bearing and your motor would be knocking and toasted.

plus taking off the timing cover is more then a 1hour job even for me whose taken it off a couple dozen times. Ford charges $90 in hour in labor...not a chance it'd only be a $125 bill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.