Modded Mustang Forums banner

Engine stumble?

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Cathedral 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, my friend has a 2002 Mustang GT and it's a 5-speed.
During acceleration 1st-3rd is okay but a lil bit of 4th an ESPECIALLY 5th it stumbles real bad in low RPM. I've checked the coils the ohms read fine.
We can't seem to figure it out. Tried dry gas an everything...
Please help...

- Dave

Edit: Mainly if i push the pedal to the floor, otherwise if i go VERY slow it usually is a lot better.

#2 · (Edited)
Is it stumbling under light or hard acceleration?

A sticking/failed EGR valve can cause a stumble under light acceleration in the higher gears and at lower rpms. MY '03 did this and I just disabled the EGR in the tune to fix it--cheap and lazy...

#6 ·
He has a 5-Speed, an he's doing about 70-80 when he puts it into fifth, an when we floor the pedal, she stumble almost like she's not getting something she should... I'm guessing his stock air filter cause the case is crack right off, so half the filter is exposed. Could that cause this problem?
Thanks,
- Dave

#8 ·
Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have this same problem. The car idles great, and gets the hell up and goes when I want it to, but cruising in 4th and 5th around 2k, she jerks and stumbles. It's only when I'm trying to maintain speed; if I let off the gas, it will stop, and if I give it gas, it stops; but just lightly trying to go, say 55, it jerks. 80 on the highway is fine, though.

I've searched the forums and seen all the suggestions people have posted; I haven't had the time to do anything yet though.

But I do notice this seems to be a pretty common problem...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.