Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm looking at buying a 2003 Mustang GT with the SOHC 4.6L. The motor's blown - I'm not sure what happened. However, I have a 4.6 from a parts car I used on a previous project which has a good motor with 40k miles on it. I need to know if I can do a direct swap, and what problems I'm going to run into. Also, I'm in CA so this could complicate things. I know that technically for smog, you can only swap a newer motor into an older car, but if these two motors are the same, I'm hoping the smog technicians will never have to know. My question is, can I do this swap? If so, can I use the ecm from the 2003 so that it shows up fine on the smog checks? Any advice? I only have a little bit of time to decide on doing this project and can really use everyone's help asap. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
need a little more info??
what year is the motor ur trying to put in?
if its 99-00 then its a windsor and a 8 bolt crank.. if its 01-04 (like ur car) then its romeo and its a 6 bolt crank

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
besides those differences everything is the same..
should go right in and plug up..
if its a windsor tho ur gonna have to buy a 8 bolt fly wheel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. I have a motor out of a 99. Its also got an auto transmission but I'm hoping to use the 5-speed on the car I'm looking at buying. Can I use the ECU from the 2003 to control the 1999 motor without issues?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
yes itll be fine.. but make sure u have an 8 bolt fly wheel to fit the 99 motor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok great. It's really that simple? haha. I tried this once before on another car and nothing seemed to work out! So there weren't any real changes in engine specs over 99-04 besides the flywheel deal. I won't have to worry about different compressions, piston sizes, and all that?

Now, I'm not sure how smog technicians do things, but if I am running that ECU from the 2003, it should test and show up on their screens as an 03, right?

thanks

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
lol yea believe it or not that the only thing majorly changed that will affect the swap.. i mean there are minor things like the cam caps/cam gears/timing cover bolts are different.. but that wont affect the swap by any means.. but yes when the techs hook the computer up it will read 2003

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds great...I'll probably buy the car if it'll be that simple. Thanks boostang for the help.

Anybody else done this before? Any hints, tips, suggestions, warnings before I undertake this project. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
no problem yo!:D

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That sounds great...I'll probably buy the car if it'll be that simple. Thanks boostang for the help.

Anybody else done this before? Any hints, tips, suggestions, warnings before I undertake this project. Thanks all!
a true friend reps :yes

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
boostang seemed to hit it on the head.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i do waht i can.. ive done plent off engine swaps in many different cars all the way from a cobra motor in my stang too a ls2 in a 3rd gen rx7.. now that was a bitch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha i can imagine. Only thing I've done is put an LS6 from a wrecked corvette into a trans am. Other than that, basically only bodywork :)

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
water pump is also diffrent, not a big problem, but you must use both the water pump & pulley from 1 motor or the other. also switch the intake's as the 99 will have a plastic coolant crossover (if not updated) & the '03 will have an aluminum crossover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, that shouldnt be any problem, I'll have all those parts on the blown motor that I can change over. So it looks like the only thing I'll have to buy is a flywheel from a 99-00 GT....any other hidden expenses anyone can think of? thanks guys

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
a flywheel along with the normal b/s for an engine swap (ie. oil, antifreeze, etc.) & you should be set. might wanna throw a clutch in it while your in there though.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
no there shouldnt be any other problems that i can think of.. if u do just pm one of us and we'll be glad to hlp u

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
awesome...thanks a ton guys. Yeah I was thinking about putting a clutch in...the car only has 30k miles, but to have a blown motor means he probably wasn't driving it too soft. Any suggestions on an after market clutch? I'd like something with a stiff pedal feel but nothing too overboard as the car is mostly stock. Reliability is going to be the key factor here for me. thanks

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i use the king cobra in all my cars

1 - 20 of 20 Posts