Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much would an average engine swap cost including buying a 99-04 engine?

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
$1,500~3000 depending on the location and shop, if you plan to do it I suggest to buy the full salvage car, you will void alot of problems if you do that....

Are you planning on a swap?

Edit: just the motor? or everything else needed? If it just the motor then it will be less....

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
What motor are you looking to swap? PI? 4v? 5.4L? Something else?

If you're going for the PI motor, from what I've seen here, you're better off keeping your stock shortblock and just doing the H/C/I swap.

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What motor are you looking to swap? PI? 4v? 5.4L? Something else?

If you're going for the PI motor, from what I've seen here, you're better off keeping your stock shortblock and just doing the H/C/I swap.
i wanted a pi motor only because of less miles, im only sitting at 84 and i average 2000 a year but this is my first card i plan to keep it as long as possible. i know my heads have a higher compression but my dream is to turbo it and i was trying to figure out the cost difference to see if its cost effective to do the full pi swap or do the pi motor swap and i might ony be able to do the intake my self so al the work will be done by a mechanic

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
If you're serious about turboing it, I wouldn't worry about the motor swap.

You're gonna want a fully forged bottom end, different cams, and a different intake. There goes most of the PI motor you just paid so much for.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
If you're serious about turboing it, I wouldn't worry about the motor swap.

You're gonna want a fully forged bottom end, different cams, and a different intake. There goes most of the PI motor you just paid so much for.
+1 turbos are fun.... but you will need to put a forged piston and rod in there atleast and then possibly a forged crank if you really wanna make some power... the motor that is in your car will last a while longer... you wont have any issues.

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but it will be a couple of year bfore i get the money to turbo it and its just a dream, if i did the pi swap how many miles wil the engine be good for, before, normal wear starts? i dont see the point of the pi swap if my block or the other stuff is goin to go bad soon

·
Registered
173 Posts
Your block should not be "going bad" unless it has had POOR maintenance and run into the dirt. If you do a head/cam change a lot of the motors moving parts are replaced. The other important moving parts to the engine would be crankshaft, rods and pistons. Which to extend on what was said earlier, if going with ANY large hp/ tq numbers (regardless of turbo,s/c, or N2O) it is wise to switch to a forged set of pistons,rods and crank.
84,000 miles is not that high at all!!!

+1 for the donor car if the price is right!

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
im only sitting at 84 and i average 2000 a year
84k miles is nothing for these motors. 200k is common with routine maintenance and I've seen P71 Crown Vics with 300k.

So, 200k minus 84k gives you 116k miles before you really need to start thinking that your motor is high mileage. At your current rate of 2k miles per year, that's 58 years.

If you mistyped or I misread, and you meant 20k miles/year that's still 5 solid years of driving before I'd start thinking about a rebuild.

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thats great news but is the price really different for the pi swap and motor swap with a mechanic doing it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts