Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2007 mustang rag top V6, however I want more power. Is an engine swap possible and if is what engine can used?

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
you can be faster than a basic GT with the addition of a SC'er. you'll be lighter, have about the same power as a basic bolt-on GT, you will still get better gas mileage, and your insurance will still be cheaper. this will also be a much cheaper way to get the extra power than doing an engine swap

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Would he need to upgrade anything else in the drivetrain in order to handle more power(engine swap or F/I)? How do the V6's transmissions and drivetrain systems compare to the V8's in terms of durability and strength?

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
The V6 does not get any better mileage than a GT. Don't believe me, go look at the window stickers at your dealer and compare. They are maybe 1 mpg better.

And Efyl, if he's automatic, no. The auto transmissions are the same from V6 - GT. If it's manual, yes. The manual transmissions are different from V6 - GT.

·
KCCO
14,878 Posts
go ahead zippee. lookin like you know what you are talking about.

i would look into building the internals on the V6 and then throwing some kind of FI on it. just woudln't be worth the money to change out engines with everything else you would have to do to it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I got a 2007 mustang rag top V6, however I want more power. Is an engine swap possible and if is what engine can used?
Going with what everyone else here is saying, you could very well match or beat a GT with a well thoughtout F/I approach. But it's gonna cost probably $4-5k on the F/I alone.

And if you're on a manual, the transmission may not hold up? Sure the V6 is smaller, but it's only about a half liter smaller. I'm not sure it weighs much less. (I'm surprised Ford's website has nothing regarding weights and minute details....)

Unless you need to stay with the V6... have you looked into trading it in on a ragtop V8? Sure the depreciation on your current car will be expensive, and it's a big gap between V6 and V8... but you get a new car at what I would guess to be around the same price as an engine swap or good F/I system....

That's why I switched from a Scion tC to the GT. I could have put the Toyota S/C on the Scion for about $5k installed. But instead I refinanced and ate the depreciation. Bought a new GT coupe for the same price as the Scion w/SC would have cost me. And the Mustang's a better car in every single aspect.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It's stupid to try to put a v8 in a v6 car, with the money it would take to do it you could sell your v6 and get a GT

I would either:

1. sell your car and get a GT
2. supercharge or turbo charge your v6

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
It's stupid to try to put a v8 in a v6 car, with the money it would take to do it you could sell your v6 and get a GT

I would either:

1. sell your car and get a GT
2. supercharge or turbo charge your v6
Carefull on your wording :) I dropped a 351 windsor into my 83 notch...it was a 4 banger , for $2000.00 engine included....now I know your comment was aimed at newer fuel injected computer controlled cars...just had to say it Regency:D.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
On another forum Buckman got 11.0 in the quarter and Rygen 10.90 by turbocharging their 4.0 V6s. They used either a 67mm or 70mm, both from Powerhouse, where I got mine. I'm sure many many other mods were done as well but shows what can be achieved with a 4.0 without an engine swap.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
On another forum Buckman got 11.0 in the quarter and Rygen 10.90 by turbocharging their 4.0 V6s. They used either a 67mm or 70mm, both from Powerhouse, where I got mine. I'm sure many many other mods were done as well but shows what can be achieved with a 4.0 without an engine swap.
+1
I remember reading an ad in Mustang 5.0 about a mid 10 second V6. Granted it had a 20 psi turbo on it and put out 450 or so to the wheels. I'm sure that system would cost a very pretty penny to fully ensure the longevity of the vehicle....

Unless the sole point was a sleeper project car, it doesn't make sense to me financially. And if you just want to F/I a V6 for kicks... well then, more power to you and please post your process and results for us to enjoy! :D

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
hey zip,

the window sticker isn't always right as we all know. you can easily get 30mpg on the highway in the gt. a guy i work with drives a V6 and gets 25 around town. that's almost 10 more than i get. i think the window sticker said 18city and i was getting 21 before i started modding it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
if you want to stick with your car and make it faster the engine swap you mentioned would cost way too much .you have a few combinations Nitrous,SC,TC,or a stroker.
you could take it a step further if you want for example a stroker and some nitrous would be a great combo_One of the guys I work with at a ford dealership has a mid 13sec V6 stang auto with nitrous and a few bolt ons.One thing you should do is a 8.8 swap if you want to make your car fast and dependable since the 7.5 is puny

1 - 14 of 14 Posts