Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of or seen a 351W engine swap in the S197? I know someone put in a 427 cammer in MM&FF and according to the article, it was a perfect fit. So has anyone else succesfully implanted a pushrod into the S197 stangs???

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
im with juco... these motors are already wonderful... you'd be stepping back unless its a drag car.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know these motors are great (save for the rods) but what I thinkwhat the Stangs are missing is that classic push-rod sound. That's what i'm trying to accomplish. Example. When you cam our stangs, there's a difference in idle, but NOTHING like a push-rod. Especially a push-rod chevy. So...my question is...do we have an equivalent somewhere in Ford's arsenal, or are we SOL when it comes to push-rod power?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol you guys are missin the point. Is an engine swap to an older, bigger V8 possible? You can get so much power out of those motors (as you can ours with intensive mods) but it's definatly a different power. Anyone whose driven one can testify to that fact

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently the 427 went right in. Dunno...just what I heard. So if a 427cid cammer fit, i would imagine a 351W would. Isn't the 4.6L like...281cid? That's what i'm saying here guys. 4.6L V8 being small compared to a 351cid or 427cid

Has anyone heard of someone transplanting one of these older push-rods in?

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Apparently the 427 went right in. Dunno...just what I heard. So if a 427cid cammer fit, i would imagine a 351W would. Isn't the 4.6L like...281cid? That's what i'm saying here guys. 4.6L V8 being small compared to a 351cid or 427cid

Has anyone heard of someone transplanting one of these older push-rods in?

those numbers are displacement and have nothing to do with the outside dimentions of the engine. the 4.6l engine that is in your stang is taller, longer, and wider then a 350 chevy or 351w. those numbers are just the size of the cylinder the bore and the stroke. an over head cam engine is bigger, generally speaking. the push rod is a more compact design even though it makes more displacement.

and i doubt a 351 would just mount right in. and i really doubt that it would mount right to your trans. but i could be wrong. but to answer your question, yes any push rod will fit as far as room is concerned.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
old small blocks are great... dont get me wrong. thats where all this originated. these motors make wonderful drivable power everytime you start em... the nostalgic sound you want comes from generally speaking old fashioned gas hogging unreliable carbed small blocks... why not just throw in a set of cams with some more overlap (frpp hot rods sound nice).. dont lose and drivability. then throw on some lt's, and a x pipe + corsa's... it'll lope its ass of at idle and breathe like a horse at speed. small blocks can make WAYYY more power than these.. but only generally speaking and at the cost of reliability. if you want to make an awsome drag car, go ahead and build a forged 427, 13:1 comp, 250 shot and 4000 stall ona c4... wowzer thats a swap

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It can be done, but would be a hassle to get it all sitting and working right. If you just want a more traditional engine in there then go for it, but if you just want to make power it would be easier and cost effective just to upgrade the current 3v.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I saw a guy at a show that put the aston martin v12 (6.0L) in an s197... it was pretty sweet. But I wouldnt want to spend that kind of money and effort...

wow any idea what numbers he was putting down?

·
Registered
991 Posts
yes a 351w would fit...are engine bays are huge with all the computer stuff and what not in there. anything can be done if you have the money..but it wouldnt be that hard to do it your self.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts