Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i had my problem figured out...after replacing the PCM the car started running great no noises, hesitations or bucking.

Well the tick is back again, but its intermittent. It only happens after i go WOT...if i drive the car normal it never happens. I'm going to try and get it to tick again tonight then pull the belt and see if the problem is still there.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont think its an oil issue since it only happens after i go WOT...car doesnt make noise, then after WOT it will start ticking for about 15 mins or so then go away again. Oil is good, and its clean not burnt.

As for mods, just a cai...used to have a supercharger but blew the motor, pulled a motor from a boneyard to put in it. Motor was running fine with no problems for about 3 months before the ticking noise came up.

Tick kind of sounds like valve clatter...gets faster as motor spins up in rpms. I'll try and get a video of it.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
You have a lifter that is worn out. When you go WOT, it places more demand on the lifter and probably pushes all the oil out of it. Next, it takes a little while for the lifter to pump back up. I would bet a good amount of money that this is the problem.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that makes a lot of sense, thanks! guess ill have to do some looking into how to troubleshoot this one.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
You have a lifter that is worn out. When you go WOT, it places more demand on the lifter and probably pushes all the oil out of it. Next, it takes a little while for the lifter to pump back up. I would bet a good amount of money that this is the problem.
+1 that would be my next idea

i have seen a case where the oil pump going south caused a similiar situation in one of these cars, just could keep up to the high R's, and wouldnt start pumping right for about a minute later, but your 15 mins is completely different.

·
Registered
575 Posts
probably is a lifter or cam chain guide/tensioner wearing out.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have all the parts from my old motor sitting in my garage...guess steal the parts from it.

Anyone have any good links or good write up on how to swap out the lifters and redo the timing chain?

Appreciate the hlep

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh just thought about something...can i monitor oil pressure through an xcal2? oil pressure never shows bad on my dash guage

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so i just took the car out and tried to duplicate the problem...i went WOT atleast 10 times, could not reproduce the tick

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If i do a compression check on it while the engine is cold, would that show me signs of the lifter going bad? Just trying to get all the terminology right, but isn't it called a lasher...or am i mixing that up with another part?

·
Registered
927 Posts
dude496 how many miles are on your motor im wondering?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok tried again to reproduce the tick problem...still can not reproduce.

I'm probably reaching high into the sky on this one...but when the tick did happen the engine was still somewhat cold, it had only been running for a few minutes before i went WOT. The other times i have tried to reproduce the tick was when the engine was warm.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
ok tried again to reproduce the tick problem...still can not reproduce.

I'm probably reaching high into the sky on this one...but when the tick did happen the engine was still somewhat cold, it had only been running for a few minutes before i went WOT. The other times i have tried to reproduce the tick was when the engine was warm.
There's your problem. DO NOT be running your car at WOT with a cold engine and cold oil. It probably was a lifter you were hearing.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
the guys that are helping you know alot more than i, but my motor would tick and squel, it sounded like a belt or pully and the tick sounded like a lifter, but it ended up being a plug that backed out and blew, just thought id throw that out there

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's your problem. DO NOT be running your car at WOT with a cold engine and cold oil. It probably was a lifter you were hearing.
yeah im thinking it was the lifter. I figured the engine was warm enough to get on it...it had been running for atleast 4 minutes. Never had a problem with any other car going WOT after a few minutes...but i'll keep this as a hey it hurts when i do this...well dont do that kinda things.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the guys that are helping you know alot more than i, but my motor would tick and squel, it sounded like a belt or pully and the tick sounded like a lifter, but it ended up being a plug that backed out and blew, just thought id throw that out there
Engine is squealing a bit when it comes to red line...i did just change the plugs, ill go out tomorrow and make sure they are still tight.

And thanks everyone for all your help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts