Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have one more question and I promise you I have googled till my fingers went numb and I have basic definitions but I really need some clarification (in English please) of what the following items are, benefits (hp torque), why, necessary if ultimate goals are TCharger, etc? I assume if I will be doing one of these it would be smarter labor wise to do all at once:
Port and polish heads
Stroke and bore
Forged pistons

This is pretty much in the realm of mods where I start to get a bit lost. Yes I know what pistons, cam, heads, rods , valves look like and where they are. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Poo tee weet?
2,646 Posts
Port and polish headsgets you more power
Stroke and borebore cleans up the engine bore during rebuild and gets you like 5 cubic inches stroke means new crankshaft which gives you 20ish more cubes more cubes means more power
Forged pistonsthey hold up to more power.

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
Port/polish: makes the runners of the intake/cylinder heads the same size as the gaskets you are using, polishing is when they clean up inside the runners to make the airflow better.

Bore/stroke: stroke is using longer connecting rods(new crankshaft is needed) bore is when the machine shop enlarges the cylinder the piston rides up/down in. You will need bigger pistons if you bore the cylinders.

Forged pistons is a stronger piston used in forced induction applications. Forged pistons are required if you want to make big power.

Sent from my droid using my fingers.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
But if you want a t supercharger i'm assuming you mean thunder bird (super coupe) those already have forged engines, why bother? And when you mean ported heads I hope you know they're single port heads not split port like the 99-04 heads

Chill out, its the internet bro!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks guys I think I pretty much got it. I meant that I wanted a turbo charger, however I needed to know supporting mods parts changes etc. the more i speak of turbo charger it seems most have a supercharger. i know the difference between the two but why is SC more popular? I assumed doing the above was pretty much lumped into "rebuilding" the engine or "fortifying" it so that it can handle that type of power (SC TC) better???

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
The reason more have a supercharger is its a whole lot easier to put on the car. And yes, all the parts i described for you are what you need to "build" a motor for forced induction.

Sent from my droid using my fingers.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
But if you want a t supercharger i'm assuming you mean thunder bird (super coupe) those already have forged engines, why bother? And when you mean ported heads I hope you know they're single port heads not split port like the 99-04 heads

Chill out, its the internet bro!
OP said Tcharger, not Tsupercharger.

OP, welcome to the forums. Here are some basic answers to your original questions:

Port and Polish heads: This involves lightly grinding away the ports that go from your throttlebody to your engine cylinders to improve the flow of air. This improvment of air flow involves both volume of air able to pass through, but also improving how the air flows through by removing rough spots that create turbulent restrictive airflow. This is something that machine shops can do and shouldn't be taken lightly, its very easy to mess up your heads/intakes if you don't know what you're doing and trying to port them yourself. Most shops can take care of your heads/intakes for probably around $1200-1500 depending on your area.

Stroke and bore are the basics of how the piston/rod moves throughout your cyclinder. high stroke engines typically have higher torque output, and bore is basically what the diameter of your piston is. The only reason to increase bore really is to make sure that you have a clean cylinder wall with no nicks or scratches that could affect how the engine runs. I believe stock bore is 3.830", and most will over bore by 0.020"-0.030" to make sure they have a clean cylinder wall when doing a rebuild.

Forged pistons are simply stronger then cast or hyperueretic pistons. They are treated so that they can take more abuse from the combustion within the engine. These, along with forged rods, are good for supercharged or turbocharged engines since they will see higher forces to make more power.

A good website to look for finished parts and kits is Super Six Motorsports - V6 products that make your life faster

They have stroker kits, which are cranks from a 4.2L v6 ford truck engine, longer connecting rods, and forged pistons for your application, or you can get forged kit that is set up for 3.8L of displacement. The main difference between these two is simply the stroke of the crankshaft and the length of the connecting rod.

Camshafts also have a lot to do with the engine, but once you decide what kind of engine you are building you can talk to an expert to figure out exactly what cam you should get.

Most v8 guys live by the supercharger, simply because its easy to bolt on. The v6 guys typically go with a turbocharger bc there are one or two guys who make kits, involving a new exhaust to feed the turbo, the turbo essentials (turbo, blow off valve, wastegate, intercooler, pipings/connections) that you can typically put on in about a weekend.

Supercharger kits are also available which can be purchased for a similar price range, but typically results in less power since the supercharger draws power from the engine to compress the inlet air, where a turbo charger uses wasted energy.

Well I have dragged on for long enough, if you need any other information feel free to ask and welcome to the forums once again!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I can drag on a bit more.

The supercoupe that cristian mentioned is from the 87-95 thunderbird supercoupe, a supercharged v6 engine that is the same as the mustangs (essentially).

Like he said, it has single port intakes, but you can flow just as much from a ported single port as a ported split port if you do the work correctly, so its not as much a concern if done correctly. Also, with the supercharger, you have added velocity to get the air through the intakes. If you are able to find a full supercoupe the swap is doable, a little labor intesive, but is pretty sweet to open up the hood and show off the engine in the bay.

Its rated at 210hp and 320ftlbs of torque (if I remember correctly) and comes with a forged crankshaft, forged connecting rods, and hyperueretic pistons. The hp may not be much more then what a split port makes, but the torque is the real winner, plus the supercoupe engine makes more power across the rpm band then the splitport makes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toph6888 sweet answers, thank you!! Ok one last clarification you mentioned if TCing there should be a supporting exhaust. I'm assuming you mean ex setup: LTs hpipe catback high flows true dual?? Or exhaust wise is there something else I'm missing mistaking etc? As u said the TC Runs off the exhaust gas waste to power, I'm assuming there's a specific placement somewhere in that setup I listed I thought somewhere around the headers?

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Bore/stroke: stroke is using longer connecting rods(new crankshaft is needed) bore is when the machine shop enlarges the cylinder the piston rides up/down in. You will need bigger pistons if you bore the cylinders.
"Stroking" an engine is done by increasing the throw (stroke) of the crankshaft (twice the distance from crankshaft CL to rod journal CL), not by increasing rod length.

The supercoupe that cristian mentioned is from the 87-95 thunderbird supercoupe, a supercharged v6 engine that is the same as the mustangs (essentially).
The SC began production for the 1989 model year, not '87.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts