Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to put a new engine and tranny in my 02 gt. i want a different motor then the 4.6. its getting alot of miles and figured id save up for a whole new crate engine. any suggestions? what kind of engines can fit in an 02 mustang? i would love to put an ls2 in it or even a 5.7 hemi. but i dont think those would work since they are dodge and chevy engines.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
just about anything really if you have the time and money. i would put a 4.6 4v cobra motor in it

·
Registered
444 Posts
Keep it simple and keep it ford... engines you sould look into are:

1. 4.6 3V- you can use this engine with your stock ECU and engine harness, all you need is Logan motorsports conversion kit and BBR 3V cam adjusters and a tune 2005-2007 Mustang GT BBR 3V Cam Adjusters
Logan Motorsports - SCT Tuning

2. 4.6 4V- you can use this engine with your stock ECU but you need to modify your engine harness some and again a Tune is a must!

3. 5.4 2V- you can use this engine with your stock ECU and stock tune for a short time, though a tune is recommended... all you need is some 4.6 to 5.4 adapter plates to adapt the 4.6 intake to the 5.4.

4. 5.4 4V- same as the 4.6 4V but a much tighter fit, you will need adapter plates depending on if youre going to use an aftermarket intake or stick with a 4.6 cobra intake and you may need to use an aftermarket hood.

Option 1 and 3 are the best options in my opinion as they are a little simpler and no modifications to the engine harness is needed and currently KarKraft has some used 3V longblocks for $750 so that makes the 3V swap a very interesting option! New & Used Engines

·
Registered
387 Posts
what about the 5.4 3v with the logan kit 3v heads are light, flow better then stage 3 2v heads and you can use your stock ecu i think

·
Registered
444 Posts
what about the 5.4 3v with the logan kit 3v heads are light, flow better then stage 3 2v heads and you can use your stock ecu i think
Thanks for pointing that out, the 5.4 3V somehow slipped my mind lol but yeah it would definatly work too! the 3V is a pretty good alternative to the 4V as a stage 3 ported 3V head will flow 300/215 CFM versus a stage 3 4V heads 330/275 CFM and the 2V heads 235/205

·
Registered
387 Posts
forgive me if i am wrong but arent the 4v heads iron? i get my 5.0 and 4.6 mixed sometimes... and another good point of the 3v engine is that you only have to pay for one cam:) and it is allot smaller from the pics i have seen

·
Registered
922 Posts
i would love to put an ls2 in it or even a 5.7 hemi. but i dont think those would work since they are dodge and chevy engines.
gayest sh1t Ive ever heard.:eek:

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
forgive me if i am wrong but arent the 4v heads iron? i get my 5.0 and 4.6 mixed sometimes... and another good point of the 3v engine is that you only have to pay for one cam:) and it is allot smaller from the pics i have seen

No they are aluminum.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Summit has brand new Mach 1 engines for, I think about $6500. Or you could get a World Man-o-War 460! That'd be cool. Cept for the 16g price tag.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
4.6, 5.4, v10, 302, 351, 400, 428, 429, 260, 514, 3.8, 2.3, 2.3tetc. any motor from ford. then there is the ls1, ls2, ls4, ls6, ls7, lsx, etc. there are k-member to accept that and not a really hard swap. i am looking into a ls swap actually. i will get flamed for it, but i have an option for that right now.

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
I say drop a 5.4 Lightning engine in there... If you dig the whole "engine sticks out of the hood" deal and a sh*tload of torque

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
lol you would need a 4" cowl for that one...

little off topic, but a little on...the thing that pisses me off more than anything, is when a civic, is converted to rwd and runs a 302 or an ls motor with a world class T-5 tranny and they advertise it as 700 hp 7.2 second 200mph HONDA CIVIC!! im sorry if a plastic body and some headlight decals are the only thing on your car that even resembles honda...its not a civic...you dont see us putting a civic motor in our cars

1 - 20 of 67 Posts