Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I don't have much to post about, I figured I'd post up what it's like building a pretty hardcore Teksid engine.

Here is where we start.

It's a block out of a 98 Cobra. Machine work was done at BES racing, and included a line hone, bore .020 over, torque plate hone, inspect, hot tank, and deck.

Here she is on the engine stand with a fresh coat of Ford Engine Red, after being deburred and ARP studs installed. Main caps are sitting on the workbench.

Next we install the upper bearings. These are standard bore King racing bearings, as recommended by BES.

Here's how I'm 90% sure the rear upper thrust bearing goes in, counter to what the Ford FSM states. The FSM states that the groove should face the front of the block, but that doesn't make any damn sense.

There's where I left off for the day due to time constraints.

Coming up this week; crank, rod, and piston installation.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Very nice, building an engine isn't as hard as most people think. Just takes some knowledge and patience. Good luck with it!

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i installed my upper thrust bearing just like you. No problems here
I figured as much. The FSM states that the thrust washer goes on the rear of the #5 main, with the oil groove facing toward the front of the block. That makes no sense. You want the oil grooves facing the thrust surface, same as they are on the upper bearing for the #5 main.

·
super serious
6,254 Posts
Just like playing with legos, right?

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are you using as guide for building the engine?
Multiple sources.
Ford FSM
Sean Hyland book
Sage advice from BES
Corresponding documentation from ARP, Manley, King, and Totalseal.

Just like playing with legos, right?
Really expensive legos that will be worthless if you **** one thing up.

I try not to think about that part.

Building old SBCs it was "Who cares if you **** it up? They're a dime a dozen and parts are cheap."

Now it's more like "Oh sweet 8lb 7oz baby Jesus I hope I didn't do something wrong..."

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
So what are you planning on putting this in when your done?

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what are you planning on putting this in when your done?
Not 100% sure yet. I'm on the hunt for a cheap roller, either fox or Panther platform. So any fox, Capri, Fairmont, or Town Car are fair game.

There's a really nice one I'm looking at and might stop and see this weekend, but it's a long ass drive. Hoping it checks out better than the last one.

And of course boost is a given. If I'm building it this strong, I'll make use of it. I've got that massive HX50 sitting in the garage and I welded a sump in my old Mustang gas tank. It's a recipe for some fun.

I was wondering that too? Maybe the marque? j/k
I need to sell the goddamn thing first. No one wants to buy it because of one mismatched wheel. I don't get it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not 100% sure yet. I'm on the hunt for a cheap roller, either fox or Panther platform. So any fox, Capri, Fairmont, or Town Car are fair game.

There's a really nice one I'm looking at and might stop and see this weekend, but it's a long ass drive. Hoping it checks out better than the last one.

And of course boost is a given. If I'm building it this strong, I'll make use of it. I've got that massive HX50 sitting in the garage and I welded a sump in my old Mustang gas tank. It's a recipe for some fun.

I need to sell the goddamn thing first. No one wants to buy it because of one mismatched wheel. I don't get it.
Just put it in the marque
There you go, resolves it's self.
Flat black it and call it the grand marque de sade.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts

I have a 2002 Crown Vic with 34,400 miles on it for sale here in the classifieds. My grandma's car from Texas, had 15,000 miles it's first 9 years, 19,000 by me in the last 3. Has a set of the 17" Crown Victoria Sport wheels with no road rash and 75% tread left, along with a set of the stock wheels with great snow tires, also with 75% tread left (each set gets about 3,000 miles a year with me). Full leather interior, auto air, auto dimming mirror, Panasonic Bluetooth head unit, Kenwood 3 way speakers in all four corners, no rips, tears, or cracks. Asking $5000, but I'm negotiable. Would give you an extra PI headed engine to play with. I also have a cat back dual exhaust that goes with the car.

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
Pushrod engines are really easy to build. I didn't even use a guide when I built the one for my 67. I just had a general idea of what to do and where stuff went.

I've considered building a modular, but haven't gotten the courage to try it yet.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts