Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fixing the missing and sputtering problem my '92 2.3 had by replacing the injectors, now it has a terrible idle problem which started right before the injectors were replaced and now is gradually getting worse. The "Check Engine" light pops on and off every time I drive the car, and when I come to a stop, the RPM's will drop to about 500 and the car almost dies and then they kick back up to about 900-1000 RPMs and the light goes off and the car is fine. It does this EVERY time I drive it now, and it's gradually getting worse. Today the light stayed on for about ten minutes, and I stopped and let it idle (while I was looking at the price on a 5.0 Mustang, haha) and the car was just struggling to keep itself running. Then I got in the car, put it in gear, and drove off and the light turned off and the car started running fine again. Only a couple minutes later the light came back on and the car started lightly jerking at about 75 MPH. I have no idea in the world what this is. Can any of you guys help me?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
change the plugs and wires
They are brand new plugs and wires. There is no way in hell plugs and wires needing replaced will make a car run the way mine is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is your IAC clean?
I already checked the IAC. It's fine. I ran a code scan on it and found out that the mass airflow sensor was messing up. So I cleaned it and it seems to be working...so let's just hope that solved the problem.

·
Banned
5,919 Posts
yep a clogged air filter will screw ur idle up

gotta keep it clean man lol

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
so would a plugged egr valve

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I actually solved the extremely low idle problem. The rubber boot didn't seal on all the way on the underside of my intake elbow. Yeah, I'm a dumbass for not catching that. But the car is still surging under throttle and the "Check Engine" light goes on and off all the time. And I've also noticed that when I'm giving it light throttle, the car sounds like it's missing. I switched the MAF sensor from my other 2.3 and it didn't help, so it wasn't that. I am either thinking crankshaft sensor, bad O2 sensor, or clogged catalytic converter. I currently have a brand new exhaust system on my other car, which is going to be switched to my current one, but I haven't had the time to install it. But this car is getting absolutely ridiculous with its problems. I've spent WAY more money on this car trying to fix this problem than I had intended to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts