Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I came across something pretty cool in the longggg time that I've been lurking here on this forum (haven't been posting because normally I learn, not advise haha).
Anyway, a buddy of mine is a Navy veteran who served in Bahrain (among other places), and when he was overseas he was informed that he could ship any one car back for free when he came home. So, he bought a 1986 5.0 convertible IN BAHRAIN. This car had been shipped from the U.S. to Japan, stored there for years (wrapped in plastic! In a garage!!!), then shipped to Bahrain where it was stored some more. He bought it still wrapped and almost brand new, with around 30,000 miles on it, fully stock down to the exhaust. He had it shipped to the U.S. thinking he'd sell it for a quick buck (he picked it up for around $5000), but realized how awesome 5.0 mustangs are and decided to keep it. This car is gorgeous, I mean perfect. Leather interior, stock speakers and head unit, etc. It even has a Bahrain license plate with it haha. It has Japanese lettering inside the car as well, I will update as soon as I find out exactly where. This seems to be a beyond-rare car to me, with a truly interesting story behind it.
Basically, I am posting to see what you all think of this car. Have you ever heard of anything like this before? I know my friend wouldn't lie (he's military, and a fraternity brother of mine), but this is a seriously unusual story. What would something like this be worth? It is all stock, 1986, 5.0, white exterior and black/navy interior. He wants to build the car up, but I am pushing for him to sell it to a collector or someone who will keep it in this pristine condition. I told him it might be worth decent money if he can prove the story, which he says he can. What do you think? Pictures will be posted at some point (but I'm not sure when he will bring his car back again). Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Without pics, it's hard to say how much of a "special" thing it is. If it just had some japanese stickers stuck over the english stuff, it really might just boil down to being a nice original low mileage fox. Can't wait to see some pics.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
You stated that it had black interior, unless that was an option for the foreign market , no U.S made 84-89 had black interior as far as I know, unless your friend is color blind maybe its a blue interior. Im no expert so maybe im wrong.

But id love to see pictures.

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the subs and replies! I will definitely get pictures as soon as I can. At the moment my friend is home, but I think he will be back this weekend and I'll try to get another look at the car.
As far as the interior ryanw, that is likely my bad memory at work. I can't really remember what color the seats were, but I know they were leather and I am pretty sure they were navy. I thought maybe the headliner/trim was black, but it was likely gray. Again, I will post pictures soon!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the first 5 pictures. 65000 miles on it right now. Check it out!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are the second two pictures I took:
And btw my friend may be joining the forum! Stay tuned haha
PS. Note the second one is a Mitsubishi sticker haha and the third is on the sunshade

Attachments

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Can you get more interior pics ? It kinda looks like a miss matched interior, like its been pieced together

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Whats up with those ugly ass side marker lights.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't get any more pics right now, but we agree the interior has definitely been changed. The car had white headrests in the trunk when it was bought so we think the seats were originally white. As for the side marker lights, they are mandatory for cars imported to Japan. The owner is getting a full report done to trace the history of the car and replace the faded door tags. Should be interesting haha

1 - 20 of 31 Posts