Modded Mustang Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
86lx5.0
3 Posts
Hello all. Just joined the forum and I am the owner of this car. So as FoxBodyfirstplz said, I bought the car in Bahrain. The guy I bought it from had it imported there from Japan and said it was garage kept for years there. When I bought it all of the interior including the seats, visors, floor mats, and the dash were still covered in plastic from storage. I bought the car with 64,000 miles (correction from previously stated 30,000) and it currently has 65,000. I have had the car about 9 months and rarely drive it. I am just curious If this is a normal LX 5.0 or possibly a JDM Mustang. From what I have gathered in online research (which is not much so far) is that Ford did build some models for export to Japan.

Reference post #6 of the following thread:
Japanese 1995 Mustangs - Ford Mustang Forums

I also found another example of a beautiful 35th anniversary model JDM. Check out all of the documents this thing has with it. Astounding!
35th Anniv - Japanese Export | Mustang Forums at StangNet
(note the amber "ugly ass side marker lights" the RyanW pointed out)

Another example: DrivingEnthusiast: 98 Ford Mustang for Japan (again note the amber side markers)

As you can see from the few pictures posted there are some stickers placed in rather odd places throughout the car. (inside of gas tank, sun visor, one inside the glove box, the inside of the power mirror, as well as a "Port of Yokohama" sticker on the lower passenger side of the windshield") I understand that these may have been placed on there by someone if it was just brought into Japan, but why go through all the trouble? Also I have ordered a Marti Report for the car and I am just waiting eagerly to get it back to determine not only what dealership the car was sent to from the factory, but also to find out about the originality of the interior. I see everyones questions about it and believe me, I've been wondering the same things. The seats are in fact black leather and the carpet,seat belts,dash dark blue. When i bought the car there were 2 white leather headrests in the trunk and the guy I bought it from said he wasn't sure if they were for this car or not. They didn't look like they would fit at all. White leather interior doors. Exterior is Shadow Blue with white pin stripe and a white top. Chrome side mirrors,Chrome interior door handles, window switches and door locks) I haven't seen another one like it yet. Have you?

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
It's literally impossible for a JDM Mustang to exist. JDM stands for Japanese Domestic Market. So unless Ford was building Mustangs in Japan underneath everyone's noses, it's just a Mustang that was imported to Japan. From Bahrain. From 'murica.

It's the same thing as the guys who import a RHD Skyline (or whatever). It wouldn't be considered USDM since it wasn't made here. It'd be JDM. Yo.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
JEVIC (Japan Export Vehicle Inspection Center Co) is an inspection company (google it), those stickers are saying they inspected the car before it left Japan. Shipping companies require a certified inspection BEFORE they ship it to make sure everything is good to go legal wise to minimize the chance of the car getting turned away or rejected at customs/receiving in the destination country for what ever reason. The shipper does not want to get stuck with it on the dock. Nothing more, nothing elaborate and nothing of any value at all. You have an american Mustang that was shipped around to different countries and found its way back. Aside from that.. I'm not too familiar with the pre 87 interiors but those seats are not original, the side markers are not original and not from Ford (look at the lens for a standard Ford part number) and only added because side mounted signal lights are required in Japan and not in the US, any car someone imports into Japan new or old would require that to be installed, that is not a validation that it was "made" at the factory that way for Japan. It just means that someone had to install one because they wanted to pass an inspection there. Just like any American car that gets sent to the UK, it will have to have an additional marker light in the back installed. Assuming the car has a regular old 17 digit VIN (which Japanese cars don't have), pull the VIN on Carfax and see where it was first sold, they MAY have records back that far. Japan and the middle east/Europe are common places for US military and a lot of American cars are transferred back and forth that way. Even if it was not a military person that sent it out of Japan.. Japanese have a different feeling towards cars and keeping them, their inspection system actually makes it more and more expensive as the years go on to keep them on the road, that is why a lot of cars are exported from Japan.
Decent looking car but your original plan of paying $5K and turning a quick profit is not going to pan out.

·
86lx5.0
3 Posts
Well thank you, I appreciate the input. I didn't buy this car hoping it was a rarity and to sell it as one. I only became curious about some of the unusual things about the car and wanted to know more about the history of my stang as I assume anyone else would. So being just an ordinary low milage 5.0 that is completely stock, other than the interior seats, what is an estimated value of the car?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Its just a Mustang that was shipped to Japan from the US.

Whats the DSO#? That right there will tell you whether or not it was built as an export (DSO# 90-99 IIRC) from day one, or someone simply loved it so much they had it shipped from the US to Japan when they moved (Military for example), and then shipped again to Bahrain for whatever reason.

The green Mitsubishi sticker is no doubt from the dealer it passed thru before leaving Japan, or the dealer that took care of it once it entered Japan. The JEVIC sticker is an inspection sticker (as nolife posted). The sticker on the fuel door i assume is what grade of fuel to use. And the sticker on the visor? I can only assume its how to operate the top.

Export or not, do some digging. Im sure it has an interesting story behind its journey. And just from those pics, i dont see 5 grand. If thats what you paid, you paid too much. The mileage is fairly low but its just an everyday convertible and needs fixed up. Get it back to factory fresh and you might get 5 if youre lucky and find the right buyer. Convertibles can be a hard sell.

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

4K maybe? Mileage is low, but not that low. Paint seems rough and the interior is definitely rough.
I was thinking closer to 3000-3500.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Well thank you, I appreciate the input. I didn't buy this car hoping it was a rarity and to sell it as one. I only became curious about some of the unusual things about the car and wanted to know more about the history of my stang as I assume anyone else would. So being just an ordinary low milage 5.0 that is completely stock, other than the interior seats, what is an estimated value of the car?
You won't know until you actually sell it, fox body Mustang asking prices (not selling prices) are all over the place and finding a buyer for one above $2500-3000 is a waiting game. There isn't a lot of people actively looking for ones priced higher than that regardless of the theoretical value. Just my opinion but 25+ years still plays a major role regardless of the miles, if it had less than maybe 10K-20k and still looked like new, it would make a difference.

·
Registered
800 Posts
There is nothing special about that car at all

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last week I decided to go to a salvage yard in search of an axle. The only '79 Mustang to be found was this one with the rear end sitting on the ground outside of its car.
Japanese Fox Body? What is that, you ask? Have you ever seen or heard of the Datsun 240Z or 260Z, Nissan 240SX or 350Z, Toyota Chases, 2000GTs, AE86 Corollas? Well, this car is none of those. This is not a transplant either. What you are looking at here is an American-made 1979 Mustang that has been crashed into something so hard that it managed to split the rear frame rail in two. The frame itself has caused the exhaust to go up, which generated quite a fire.
I'm not really sure why this Mustang is sitting here free for the taking, so it doesn't take much convincing for me to at least grab an axle and head home. Even though there's no way of knowing what kind of shape this car is in underneath the extensive damage, I would still love to get my hands on it and find out for myself so get complete information from JDM Sport Classics.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts