Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a vacuum leak that ive had for a long time and then my idle rpm started to go crazy yet i have no money to fix so i just kept holding it off... so now as i drive when i turn my heat on and off or at random times my car will just shut off all electronics (Heat, gauges, stereo)... Does this sound linked to the vacuum leak in anyway or two separate problems ... also any ideas on how to help the vacuum leak other than sea foam

Thanks in advance,
Connor

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
Listen for where the vacuum leak is. Shouldn't be hard to find. Pretty sure its the hose going to the crank case though. I always thought what was the only vacuum line on our engines.

As for power, check your battery connections. Also when it all turns off does the theft light keep blinking? That randomly happens to be too, so to solve that issue I just turn the key to the on position before starting the car and give the PCM an extra second to recognize the key.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Vacuum leaks

It can be hard to find vacuum leaks. There are two methods that have worked for me:

1. Good way - Use a vauum pump with gauge to test each of the vacuum lines for leaks. When a leak is found then test the component at the end of the line to see if the tubing or the component is causing the leak.
2. Bad way - Replace parts and tubing until enough $$$ + luck solves the problem
3. Ugly way - Disconnect and cap off everything but the fuel pressure vacuum line. Replace fuel pressure vacuum line. Get used to seeing a check engine light and no control over the ventilation system.

It does not sound like the car is having problems with a vacuum leak. It seems like an electrical problem. It could be as simple as a corroded battery terminal. A mixture of water and baking soda does a great job of removing that corrosion.

A vacuum leak would make your idle run high and probably cause some hesitation when you first open the throttle. It could not cause the lights on your dash to go out.

I'd recommend staring with a good cleaning of the battery terminals first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thank you guys well the battery is only 4 months old so thats why it got me scared cause i dont really think its a bad battery unless it was bad of the line... As for the vacuum leak ive read things about IAC valve or gasket? being dirty/bad so idk does that seem like it could be the problem... Also when it comes to the vacuum pump with gauge i have no idea what that is haha and can u run that by me again on what I should do

Thanks guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts