Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
It cracked at the end. Always cracks only on my car though
We run Fram on our srt10 truck, moms g35, and brother silverado but run it on my mustang and they go to ****
Wow, I can't believe you use Frams on those cars. Those are literally the worst filters on the market.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow, I can't believe you use Frams on those cars. Those are literally the worst filters on the market.
They're not mine, so I can't choose they're my parents cars. I believe that the srt has k&n right NOW but I could be wrong

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Fram = worst oil filter ever made
Ditto. Junk Chinese manufacturing and the media is made and assembled in El Mehico.

I use WIX or AMSOIL.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Motorcraft filters are the best.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Motorcraft filters are made by Purolater who is owned by Bosch. It's all the same, just rebadged.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I use Motorcraft, Wix, K&N, and Mobil each one successing the other in case one is not available. Fram is crap along with extra guard (Jiffy Lube uses).

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Napa gold is a wix filter.. I feel like someone said Amsoil filters are the best because they use synthetic media..

Was that you RDY?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had a fram separate itself while putting it on once. This was on an old beater I started out driving in. When I got my first mustang I have been motorcraft ever since. I am sure it a placebo effect, but in my mind my modular cars run better with motorcraft oil.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Napa gold is a wix filter.. I feel like someone said Amsoil filters are the best because they use synthetic media..

Was that you RDY?
The synthetic media is better for extend drain intervals. They'll last the 10k+ miles that the oil will last. If you're just using standard OCI (under 5k), then a WIX, Motorcraft, or any paper media filter will work fine. WIX makes AMSOIL's filters using WIX casings and AMSOIL's media.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had a fram separate itself while putting it on once. This was on an old beater I started out driving in. When I got my first mustang I have been motorcraft ever since. I am sure it a placebo effect, but in my mind my modular cars run better with motorcraft oil.
I'm sure its a placebo effect but I also run motorcraft oil and filters but since there were no motorcraft this one last time I got fram and had this happen

·
Mustang Enthusiast
218 Posts
I usually buy 2 motorcraft filters every oil change just in case they run out for next one lol.. I use fram on my toyota pickup and never had any issues on the 100k+ miles I've owned it (currently has like 280k miles)

Sent from my SPH-L720

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've used fram plenty of times, no issue. Typically I use purolator now though becuase I usually find myself at advance auto instead of autozone just becuase its closer. I would still use fram though. Never seen the metal break apart on them, and any paper filter will work just the same as the fram will (like k&n and so on)

·
Cruising the backroads
5,192 Posts
Motorcraft filters are the best.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
for these cars yes.

I had a fram on my 97. It had the symptoms of knock on startup. Guess what, it was the fram without an anti-drain back valve. I'd also get chunks of stuff here and there when changing oil. (may be irrelevant truck had 160k and bad maintenance) When i changed to a motorcraft (fl820s) the knock went away, and the crud didn't come out of the pan as often. Id still get some, just not a frequently.
Dad had fram on his 3v 5.4. He heard mine knock on startup and went why is it doing that. I researched and found they were ****. and told him to change next filter change. He didn't believe me until he got a knock on startup. with his 3v.

Both trucks run a fram PH2, or Motorcraft FL820s.

K&N filters are just. Lets not go there...

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Sounds like you're overtightening them.

Mobil 1 filter on all my newer stuff.

Motorcraft on the weird pushrod motors.
Overtightening? I tighten them with my hand all the way and then 1/8 turn more with filter wrench. Not over tight at all

21 - 40 of 93 Posts