Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Make my day...N/A
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my 97 Cobra in April of 2005 and started off with a stock car other than a K&N air filter and 98 Cobra wheels. I added a Hurst shifter, 4:10 gears , Flowmaster American Thunder catback, custom H pipe and Eibach lowering springs and wider [at the time] 275-40-17's for the rear. Life was good and I wasn't going to do anything else. Yeah right... I picked up a short runner intake and IMRC deletes from na_svt and the following summer I picked up a Vortech V2SQ and put that on. Non intercooled and a crappy tune left me less than impressed so the following spring I installed a larger fuel pump. #42 injectors, intercooler and a dyno tune. 452rwhp and 378tq.

Not bad for a stock engine. Over the winter my ECU lost its tune and a trip over to the dyno was required to get it running again so I decided to gather parts for a "C" head swap and a N/A build. I also installed Maximum Motorsports adjustable lower control arms and a panhard bar tightening up the rear end. This past winter the ECU lost its tune again and the car was pouring fuel into the engine and out the exhaust. Another trip to the dyno got it running well again making the same hp. The following day after a 3-4 pull I heard a rattling/knocking and saw shiny particles when I dumped the oil. I ended up spinning a couple of bearings so I was undecided on finding an engine or doing a build. A friend of my father contacted me who had a 4V out of an 03 Aviator with 10,000 miles for $1300. I grabbed it and installed my FR500 intake and ditched the Vortech and installed a Magnaflow catback less tails which is how the car sits now.

Mod List

Engine:
03 Aviator long block
FR500 intake with 96-98 style lid ported & polished by na_svt off of SVTP
1/2'' intake spacer by GMsux off of SVTP
JLT CAI
ARH Header with 1-3/4" Primaries, 2-1/2" Merge Collectors, 2 1/2 X-Pipe (With Cats)
JLT oil separator
COP swap harness from The Red Monster off of SVTP

Trans:
Stock T45/clutch
Pro 5.0 shifter

Rear:
99 IRS with FTBR bushings
03 Cobra 31 spline carrier/axles
MM front IRS brace
rear Billit Flow brace

Interior:

Florida 5.0 dash gauge bezel
Autometer water temp/oil pressure gauges
UPR Billet shifter trim ring
Redline??? Cobra floor mats

·
Make my day...N/A
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought a IRS out of a 99 Cobra that was upgraded with 31 spline axles and carrier, 4:56 gears, Billitflow rear brace and Maximum Motorsports front crossmember brace.

For the interior I want to get rid of a couple of gauges and swap in an 03 console and bezel and a newer cd player.

I also have a T56 w/26 spine input shaft and MGW shifter on hand but I need to have someone checkout the internals before I have it installed and I also need a new clutch and mount so i doubt it will be going in until later in 2012 or 2013.

Gauges and pod to be removed

I may also get rid of the cluster bezel and move these gauges to the radio bezel

·
Make my day...N/A
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking through my goodies I see I also have subframe connectors and Redline shifter and e-brake boots

April of 2012 IRS parts were ordered

Full Tilt Boogie Racing FT5000Complete IRS Bushing Kit Includes FT 1000, FT 1100, FT 1200, FT 1300, FT 1500, FT 1600 and FT 1700 and FT1800 IRS Bumpsteer kit with upgraded toe links.

Which brought the IRS from this point

To this

·
Make my day...N/A
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then we found out that the cross axis joints were beat to pieces

so FTBR FT6100 Cross Axis Joints were ordered

Which got Humpty Dumpty back together

SRA on the floor

And IRS under the car

·
Make my day...N/A
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the brakes a adapter "T" fitting and short brake line were ordered from????? Will put the link here when I find it.

With the IRS hanging

How close the tires are to the side bolts with suspension hanging. 315-35-17's on 17x11" 95 Cobra R's

On the ground

·
Make my day...N/A
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice swap. Is the drive shaft the same length for the IRS as the SRA?
I think the SRA drive shaft is 1" longer then one off of a IRS car but mine worked without any issues. Also the 99/01 IRS doesn't require the hybrid joint that the 03/04 requires.

:eek: that's a lot of tire.
Yes, don't they look super awesome:naughty:

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
nice to see fellow canadian on here

nice build

PEI right

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Nice build dude, impressive car. Should have kept the vortech though. That Vortech with 4.56's = RAPE MACHINE

·
Make my day...N/A
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice build!
Thanks!

nice to see fellow Canadian on here

nice build

PEI right
Seconded

Thank you!

Yes, PEI

Nice build dude, impressive car. Should have kept the vortech though. That Vortech with 4.56's = RAPE MACHINE
That was the original plan until a couple of spun bearings put a painful end to the original engine. The only way I would ever consider F/I again would be with a purpose built engine and probably a turbo. I am content with what I have and just want to get some enjoyment out of the car without something breaking.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I hear yah man. Regardless, thats one nasty car. Must be a blast with the 4.56's.

·
Make my day...N/A
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't really had a chance to rip on it yet. I still need an alignment and don't want to end up in the woods but as far as driving around town I can't say I notice much difference over the 4:10's.

·
procrastinationist
706 Posts
Very nice. I hate to be the newb here, but what advantages does the IRS give you over the SRA? Is it all in cornering and autocrossing?

·
Make my day...N/A
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only way to learn is to ask questions. My personal thoughts are if you are into drag racing stick with a SRA however the previous owner of my IRS had some impressive time slips with his 99 Cobra and IRS but obviously went to a SRA.

With my former SRA setup my car felt like I was riding in a wagon and it is a lot smoother now and I think more stable. Also, if I can get into a group I want to try my hand at auto X which was another reason behind the swap. I will be posting a more detailed seat of the pants post once I have the car aligned get some time behind the wheel.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts