Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to free up my exhaust to help with future mods. I already have a Flowmaster catback. I would like to add some shortie headers and possibly an off road X or H pipe. The question I have is I've heard people talking about getting fines from the pd for not having cats. My stang is emissions exempt in Pennsylvania. I would like to spend less money on the off road instead of spending the extra cash to get a high flow cat X pipe if I can.
1) With the emission exemption, do I need to keep the cats to be legal? Would having classic plates help?
2) At around what modification level will the stock H-pipe become the weakest link and really hurt the potential, even with the catback and headers installed? My plan is to eventually change heads, intake, maybe a cam, fuel pump, injectors.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I bought a stock H pipe and cut out the cat shells and removed the inside and place em on the offroad H or x pipe so a po wont write you up

·
Registered
142 Posts
Go o/r

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Just get an o/r pipe. Just say you bought it like that and you didn't even know. I have an o/r pipe with shorties and dumps and I get compliments from cops

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
1) With the emission exemption, do I need to keep the cats to be legal? Would having classic plates help?
Standard disclaimer:
Emissions exempt means the car is no longer required to be tested on a regular basis. Not that it is exempt from federal emissions standards. It is a violation of federal law to remove or modify or change emissions equipment on your car with very few exceptions.

That being said.... Who would know and care and when would you get caught? Probably no one and probably never. Most local and state police do not inspect cars on the spot and to be honest, do they really have any idea what is supposed to be on different models years of cars, I guess lack of cats is pretty obvious though. Maybe if you were involved in some street racing crack down or something they may try that route if they can't get you for something else. People use "off road" pipes all of the time.

You can get a high flow 2.5 inch Magnaflow H pipe for under $300. Still not as cheap as an off road pipe though.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
My brother lives in Freeland pa where his notch is exempt from emissions testing. He hasn't had cats on it in years. The stock h pipe is very restrictive, it's 2 1/4" and has four cats so even if you go with a 2.5" with two hi flow cats your better but to go without cats is ideal performance wise.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You're only gaining minimal hp going OR with today's high flow cats.

Plus - car sounds wicked without them.
Minus - Car stinks

My 2 cents.

·
Banned
3,246 Posts
i live in cali i got a brand new bassani high flow cat x pipe for 160 brand new not even opened look on craiglist!!! its the shiz

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Do you get emmisions tested every year like commifornia? If not **** the cats. And **** the shorties

Go buy yourself a set of long tubes and an off road H. You wont be sorry! LT's will take a bit longer to put in but I had mine in, in a couple hours with a hoist. Had to put them in through the bottom of the car. The thing that took the longest was getting the damn starter back up, I would also buy a mini starter too it would have made it alot easier, but im cheap lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts