Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mechanical Engineer
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2006 and it has fr500S axle back exhaust.

I love the sound and appreciate how quiet it is cruising and the ability to talk on the phone while driving.

The problem is that I was driving a 2001 GT with nothing but 3" pipes and 2 flowmaster delta 40's dumped under the car. That car had such an amazing sound and was so loud that I just can't get used to a car this quiet. I've been looking into different exhaust cutouts and haven't pulled the trigger due to thinking that they would never last. I would probably do a short pipe with a dump or side exhaust with these. Imagine being at a stoplight and someone starts revving their engine and you flip a switch and have open flow exhaust pointed right at them!

Pypes Electric Mustang Exhaust Cutout Kit (79 -13 All) HVE10K - Free Shipping!

American Muscle has these now and they have a lifetime warranty. Problem is, I've heard Pypes is cheap crap and butterfly valve cutouts leak and or sound bad.

Doug's Headers DEC250AK 2-1/2" Electric Exhaust Cut-Out with Hook-Up Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

thats the other option but i'm not sure of warranty/reliability on these.

So speak oh wise mustang fanatics!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Interested to see how this turns out. Post a vid if you follow through on the cutouts.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was always wanting to put this.. the place I was looking at was quicktimeperformance.com let us know if you set it up.. plus you can get the remote switch and switch on/off from a distance. . Its like 75 bucks or something.. just something cool to have lol

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
OP,

We've sold quite a few of those Pypes Cut-outs and haven't heard anything but good feedback. It's a really nice setup to have if you're looking for both LOUD and quiet exhaust. With their Lifetime Warranty, you really can't go wrong. This is the route I would confidentially take if I were you!

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help too!

Shane

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I would buy the QuickTime units. Made in the USA, and I have never read anything bad about them. That is the direction I will be heading.

Pypes = Chinese.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
These 3v motors need the back pressure will prolly sound terrible.
I don't know where this urban myth came from, but back pressure is never needed nor is it beneficial in any way to the motor. Back pressure just hinders the evacuation of exhaust gases from the cylinder. Yes it will sound like crap, kinda like a boat, but performance wise it is the best option. I've thought about cut outs dumping into a side exhaust just for the track. It's better and less of a hassle than uncorking your headers, removing your mid-pipe, and then driving to the track without getting a ticket. I would probably go with a manual set up as opposed to an electric one just because it is a simpler design and more trouble free, but my track only application probably is not what you are looking for as far as coolness factor.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If you go with electric cut outs they really need to be cleaned a couple of times a year. They should be pulled off to clean properly and getting them wet in the rain sometimes doesn't seem to help matters. I'd consider the manual set up like 07 Boss suggested. I saw a car at a swap meet where the guy had 4 tee handle cables coming up through the floor. 2 for opening the gates and 2 to close the gates. All custom work.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm very confused. If back pressure does not in fact help low end torque, why do cars run so much shittier at low ends when you run open headers or a similar setup?

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
I'm very confused. If back pressure does not in fact help low end torque, why do cars run so much shittier at low ends when you run open headers or a similar setup?
I've never experienced this. I've moved the power band higher and it felt like I lost some down low but really didn't. You may lose some of the scavenging effect a properly tuned exhaust will provide, but that would be confined to a small portion of the RPM band where the pressure waves actually help clear your cylinders. It's physics, you want the highest velocity of exhaust flow to maximize your engines efficiency. The faster the exhaust flows the lower the pressure, the slower it flows the higher the pressure. So any time you increase the back pressure the slower the exhaust flow. Now in some cases with like Zoomie headers where the pipe is so short you may actually lose some velocity down low and that my hinder performance, but those cases are pretty rare. Just think about it, remove your cats and decrease back pressure and what happens? You get more power. So what would be your conclusion?

·
Mechanical Engineer
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my two considerations are: will it sound good? and are the reliable? I know the performance gain will not be enough to justify the expense over other mods. I've read that these need cleaned and that just doesn't excite me much.

I guess I could pull my x-pipe and start it. that should give me a decent example of what it would sound like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pypes quality

They may be made in China but I disagree that the quality is crap. I would rather buy U.S. made but wth, aren't we trying to own the world anyway? I have Pypes LTs, HF cats, Violators, Hpipe and they don't look any:swordfight: better or worse than the others. No leaks cracks or fitment issues. I don't care what someone else buys. I just haven't experienced that cheap chinese quality.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have seen many people use QTP cutouts. Here are a few vidoes for ya... This car has dual 3" dumps before the rear axle with a set of QTP cutouts before the dumps also. In the first vid he opens the cutouts in the beginning and then closes them again right at the end. He has a full 3" exhaust.

This one with just the dumps....

Another vid switching between the dumps and cutouts. His camera does pick up the sound very good though...

·
Mechanical Engineer
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ha, screw the cutouts.... I want those cams now. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts