Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my o/r x-pipe and catback system and my friend and I are discussing design, as we are installing it outselves.

(detailed drawing)

Heres what we have come up with. His idea is number 2. From what I've seen, most x-pipes are installed before the catback, but on his '05 gt, he has is set up like number 2.

Which set up is a better idea? And will either pass inspection?

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
your friends an idiot, his mufflers are in the rear bumper and those are the Cats that he sees.... For your car #1 is right

also you might want to sever ties with you friend...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probobly not such a good idea since...

His car.

I must be explaining it wrong, haha.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
And I know technically 1. is right, but couldnt number 2. work?
yes, would it make sense? no

the X pipe balances the flow... the placement of the muffler shouldn't affect the over all flow, but it might have different effects...

I have never seen the X after wards and it might get in the way of the drive shaft

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not trying to steal the thread but my exhaust is Strait all the way back should i get a X pipe? or leave it like it is?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like one said, it will even the flow, and cause for a different, throatier sound.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Worse case, say having the mufflers before the X does inbalance the flow;

Then you have a pointless Xpipe in your line. Install the X before the mufflers, just like pic 1. Im sure there is a reason most people with your car design there exhaust in that fashion.

Mine is setup the same way, Except I have a H pipe.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
Not trying to steal the thread but my exhaust is Strait all the way back should i get a X pipe? or leave it like it is?
Bah... don't worry about it, you will only notice a change in the sound and thats it... the power shouldn't change at all...

Like one said, it will even the flow, and cause for a different, throatier sound.
yup

So would the x-pipe being placed farther back cause a loss in power potentially?
I have no idea... My concern is the drive shaft hitting the exhaust pipes... thats why my H pipe is right under the tail end of the tranny... Plus on our cars they have muffler pockets where the muffler needs to go or else you won't be going over any speed bumps... ever and if you have the X pipe after the muffler, then your mufflers cannot go in the pockets.... and they might not be able to make it to the rear end hump

just do it the way its suppose to be ...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds good to me man. I want to get under my friend Jons car to take a look. (gt up ^) and take a picture. Like you said. NO speed bumps for him, but thats also due to the 2 inch drop, haha.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
no his is different, he should have his mufflers in the rear bumper cause he has a different chassis... what he is talking about is the Catalytic converters UNLESS he has flow throughs, like cherry bombs or some **** like that

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
well get some pics... but i seriously doubt that he has his mufflers before the crossover pipe

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
:eek:
did i just see a dead thread pop out of the ground and walk?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, haha. I feel retarded even seeing this thread. He's just running an o/r x with borla catback.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts