Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which is better / would you recommend, H-pipe or Y-pipe?
:dunno

...and why?:confused:

I own a 99 V6 stang if that makes a difference?

I'm looking for performance, and sound (here me coming "low/deep rumble")

...kinda new to this / its been a Long while(since the Old Website was in action) since I've been to moddedmustangs.com
but glad to be back!:cool:

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
H and X will flow the same on our cars because our engines are even firing

H is lower, X is louder; both will outperform the Y

removing catalytic converters frees up more power as well.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
btw, i have mac long tubes, short off road H pipe and magnaflow magnapacks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so DEFINATELY NO with the stock y-pipe?

because I am thinking about just getting a 96-04 Catback, 2.5" 409 Stainless Steel With Street Pro Mufflers & Dual Polished Tips - WHICH BOLTS TO STOCK Y-PIPE <---is this a bad idea?
...priced at $317 from LRS.com

But I'm REALLY second guessing this because of everyone recommending H-Pipe or X, but barely even mentioning the Y-pipe?

should i just get something else?(other than the Y)

·
Registered
549 Posts
i ended up cutting off my stock mid pipe after the cats and welded on the h pipe section from a gt and then got gt takeoffs with flows out the back. sounds pretty good imo and it was cheap as hell

·
Registered
159 Posts
so DEFINATELY NO with the stock y-pipe?

because I am thinking about just getting a 96-04 Catback, 2.5" 409 Stainless Steel With Street Pro Mufflers & Dual Polished Tips - WHICH BOLTS TO STOCK Y-PIPE <---is this a bad idea?
...priced at $317 from LRS.com

But I'm REALLY second guessing this because of everyone recommending H-Pipe or X, but barely even mentioning the Y-pipe?

should i just get something else?(other than the Y)
deff. NO with the Y pipe..
yeah i wouldnt get that...you can get stainless steel h-pipe,Catback and all that good stuff on ebay for the price of that you was looking at. and most of it is bolt on....but if you want a deep loud sound get long tube headers too.

but i dont know really what your $ range is, im just giving you some ideas:)

go to youtube and you can check out some sound clips of diff. exhaust. just type in something like..... 99-04 mustang v6 MAC exhaust or mustang v6 exhaust and just check those out to give you some ideas:cool:

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
The Y pipe doesn't flow enough gasses... thats why people do dual exhaust

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
if you re n/a or supercharged, your best bet is long tubes, a dual midpipe (true duals, H, or X) and then mufflers.

the cat back (over axle) and tips will add a different sound and look, but don't just buy a cat back that bolts to the Y pipe. you will have a different tone, not much louder, and the power gains will be minimal since the flow is restricted at the Y flange.

i recommend:
mac long tube headers
mac short off road H pipe
and a cat back (of the same year GT) of your preferred mufflers.

you will need oxygen sensor extending harness and MIL eliminators and it all bolts up in a couple hours.

Reactions: 1REASUN

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
if you re n/a or supercharged, your best bet is long tubes, a dual midpipe (true duals, H, or X) and then mufflers.

the cat back (over axle) and tips will add a different sound and look, but don't just buy a cat back that bolts to the Y pipe. you will have a different tone, not much louder, and the power gains will be minimal since the flow is restricted at the Y flange.

i recommend:
mac long tube headers
mac short off road H pipe
and a cat back (of the same year GT) of your preferred mufflers.

you will need oxygen sensor extending harness and MIL eliminators and it all bolts up in a couple hours.
Red: Hey ab, I don't have any of those :p
Orange: +100000:yes
Green: MIL eliminators, or an xcal with the rear 02s tuned off

1 - 20 of 31 Posts