Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I have a few questions for ya. I am new so i don't know that much about fixing up cars lol.

I have an 02 GT and have flowmasters installed. Would it be worth getting an X or H pipe? Would it add any HP or torque? Which is better X or H? O/R or not? I want it to be street legal so any and all help would be greatly appreciated. If needed I can take a vid of it as it is (with stock pipes and flowmaster).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
264 Posts
A high flow mid pipe will add Hp, Trq, and sound better too... X pipe is higher pitched raspy sound, H-pipe is a lower sound, thats personal preference, listen to youtube videos... O/R (off road) means no cats, therefore not street legal but lots of guys run them anyways, because they sound awesome and are way cheaper then midpipes with high flow cats. Getting away with it depends on what kind of emission tests you have where you live. Some guys even save there stock mid pipe and switch them out once a year for emissions then put the O/R pipe back on.
Do some searches, this site has is endless info on mid pipes

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hey guys I have a few questions for ya. I am new so i don't know that much about fixing up cars lol.

I have an 02 GT and have flowmasters installed. Would it be worth getting an X or H pipe? Would it add any HP or torque? Which is better X or H? O/R or not? I want it to be street legal so any and all help would be greatly appreciated. If needed I can take a vid of it as it is (with stock pipes and flowmaster).

Thanks in advance.
If you take the cats off, you technically won't be street legal. Chances are, however, that you would never get caught (unless your state requires you to smog your car). I wanted to keep my car street legal, so I bought a mid-pipe with high-flow cats.

An X will give you a tiiiny bit more top end hp. An H will give you a tiiiny bit more low end torque. It all comes down to what you want it to sound like. I'd get on YouTube and listen to a bunch of exhaust clips and find what you like.

Here's a vid of my exhaust.

·
_
3,782 Posts
Yes an aftermarket mid pipe will add hp. An x-pipe will flow a little better than an h-pipe due to the design of the straight flow of the x-pipe comparred to the h-pipe. Than their is a chambered mid pipe mainly sold by mac.

Please change out that stock crossover pipe soon! The stocker has "6" cats on it which bogs the hell out of it.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yes an aftermarket mid pipe will add hp. An x-pipe will flow a little better than an h-pipe due to the design of the straight flow of the x-pipe comparred to the h-pipe. Than their is a chambered mid pipe mainly sold by mac.

Please change out that stock crossover pipe soon! The stocker has "6" cats on it which bogs the hell out of it.
I believe the 2002s only had 4 cats. My '03 had 4, at least.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Lucky for me there is no emission testing here in GA, least not in my county. To clarify:
When I said street legal I meant I don't want it to be heard 2 miles away lol. Sorry about that.

Whats everyone personal preference X or H. Bassani, BBK or Pypes?

By the way, thanks for all the quick replies guys. I greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Never tried em but from what I've read pypes is crap, I run a Mac O/R H with flowmaster 40's and catbacks.. It wakes up the neighbors and sets car alarms off when I start it in the parking lot...
Just the way i like it!! :rockon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Never tried em but from what I've read pypes is crap, I run a Mac O/R H with flowmaster 40's and catbacks.. It wakes up the neighbors and sets car alarms off when I start it in the parking lot...
Just the way i like it!! :rockon
NICE!!! I was actually just watching a vid of a guy doing the same lol. I'm checkin out the Mac's now. Not bad.

Mac Performance - performance accessories for cars, trucks, and motorcycles

I'm guessing the only one that would fit (attach to my flowmasters) would be the 99-04 Cobra & GT 2.5'' H-Pipe to Stock Headers (3rd one down). It says it attaches to stock headers and I don't know if I have any. I would assume not because the engine is mainly stock. Anyone know? Also, if I get these will I still be able to run my flowmasters?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yep thats the one I got, great sound, perfect fit, excellent customer service, should bolt up to your flows just fine... Just a heads up an O/R mid pipe will turn your check engine light (CEL) on because of ( or lack of) the rear O2 sensors. You can turn the light off with mil eliminators, a tuner, or a piece of electrical tape on your dash..lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yep thats the one I got, great sound, perfect fit, excellent customer service, should bolt up to your flows just fine... Just a heads up an O/R mid pipe will turn your check engine light (CEL) on because of ( or lack of) the rear O2 sensors. You can turn the light off with mil eliminators, a tuner, or a piece of electrical tape on your dash..lol
Thank ya sir. You have been a huge help man. Nice stang by the way

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
get a prochamber and you'll never use another mid pipe lol...it's the best of both worlds :yes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts