Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Honestly, I have no idea about emissions. We don't have that here in Iowa. I think long tube headers will require some slight modification to your midpipes and your oxygen sensors will needs extenders.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Honestly, I have no idea about emissions. We don't have that here in Iowa. I think long tube headers will require some slight modification to your midpipes and your oxygen sensors will needs extenders.
it isnt that hard for someone who knows what they are doing. midpipe will have to be adjusted, but shop will know how.

shorties are a waste of money, stock exhaust manifolds if be just as good. Longtubes are worth the little more trouble that goes into them.

keep the a set of cats on or do what i do and use resinators so that the raspiness isn't unbarable.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
i dont know why everyone hates shorties. from what i have seen they look like they would make a difference. the only problem i have with lts is don't they hang lower? and if so if your car is lowered you may scrape them on the ground. Second they make changing starters a pain and certain other tasks. idk just kinda my two cents on it.

They do work a little better but you will have to decide what you want.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
^

Because some of us know what we're talking about [stangcharger] when saying they are a waste.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
ya well there are certain situations where lts are not the best option. I mean as far as the emission tests go ik in certain areas if they see the lts the car automatically fails. i am just saying that i do not believe different shorties will cause a fail on some tests.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you wrapped the longtubes and they asked about them you could tell them you wrapped them since the A/C kept causing your manifold to crack. LOL they might believe you. But I wouldn't know.
The only reason I would say don't get LT's other than emissions is if you planned to go turbo.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
that is the other situation that i was getting at was the turbo. and isn't there ground clearance issues with lts on lowered stangs?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
IDK about the ground clearance since I don't have them. But the reason for having issues with a turbo setup is most people swap the left and right manifolds so they face forward in order to do the tubing for the turbo.

I would imagine the LT's wouldn't have too much ground clearance issues since they go between the K-member and the body of the car. Thats ust my reasoning though, again I have no previous experience so take what I say with a grain of salt.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
If you can't get long tubes for emission reasons then I can understand that.

If however, no laws are keeping you from getting long tubes, you have no reason not to get them. And you have ground clearance issues with anything on a lowered car.... Just learn how to drive over things and your fine.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Or learn where to avoid when driving the mustang. Of course I tend to use this rule when driving anything. I'm sure hitting potholes and speed bumps at any reasonable non crawling speed isn't that great for your vehicle.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
well i just did not know. because i know some of my friends have lts on there cars and they are not mustangs and when you look under the car which is not lowered the headers hang way down.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
well i just did not know. because i know some of my friends have lts on there cars and they are not mustangs and when you look under the car which is not lowered the headers hang way down.
My friends 98z was.... like 2' off the ground and his headers (SLP long tubes) were about 1.2' off the ground... he Daily drove that car fine.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
i believe you. i was just saying that is how my friends car was. i would definately get the lts then if they don't really have any ground clearance issues. ik lts are better. i would call my local emissions testing place and just ask them if they should pass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts