Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i know there are a million exhaust posts and ive read the exhaust thread, but i just need to know 100% whats possible and if certain things are important.

First off: I have two flowmaster mufflers already, they were installed on another mustang for 40k miles but then the guy is now parting out the stang and i am going to get them at a very fine price compared to new. he had them installed on a v6 as dumps, and i just need to check if i can convert those mufflers for true dual? i figured yes by just cutting the dump off and rewelding them on pipes. but let me know if im wrong please

Second: cats have always confused me a bit but im pretty sure i have it figured out. im in california so i think they are required since emmisions and stuff are super strick here according to other threads ive peeked at. to the question, i need to get a custom fabbed h pipe but can that be installed after my stock cats without replacing them? or do i need to get a whole new h pipe with cats?

Third: this is a question that is related to the exhaust thread where it says

"make sure whatever shop you choose uses mandrel bent pipes and not crush bent pipes"

is this vitally important? im fine asking around about it because i want the best quality exhaust.

annddddd let me know if you think buying used muffs is a bad idea, i havnt bought them yet, but they are for a very good price and are hard to resist. i also have a question about fog lights and hids. but ill save that for later :D

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
1. Those will work fine. You can leave them dumped or have the dumps cut off and run tips instead.

2-3. You will need your cats in Cali. You can have a whole new midpipe made in which case it would be important to find a shop that uses a mandrel bender. The exhaust will flow much nicer that way. Another option would be to have a shop cut the Y off of your stock midpipe and run new tubing to the mufflers and throw in a crossover to make it a h pipe. In that case, there shouldn't really be a need for bending.

As far as buying used mufflers, I don't think it should be a huge deal. They're be "worn in" so you'll get the true sound out of them right away. Just make sure they're in good condition.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Those will work fine. You can leave them dumped or have the dumps cut off and run tips instead.

2-3. You will need your cats in Cali. You can have a whole new midpipe made in which case it would be important to find a shop that uses a mandrel bender. The exhaust will flow much nicer that way. Another option would be to have a shop cut the Y off of your stock midpipe and run new tubing to the mufflers and throw in a crossover to make it a h pipe. In that case, there shouldn't really be a need for bending.

As far as buying used mufflers, I don't think it should be a huge deal. They're be "worn in" so you'll get the true sound out of them right away. Just make sure they're in good condition.
so getting new tubing and a crossover would be most likely a lot cheaper than buying or having made a whole h pipe correct? besides the mufflers, what would you estimate having the tubing and crossover and having it run to tips and install would cost?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
so getting new tubing and a crossover would be most likely a lot cheaper than buying or having made a whole h pipe correct? besides the mufflers, what would you estimate having the tubing and crossover and having it run to tips and install would cost?
Correct. It probably wouldn't be quite as nice as a freshly fabbed, mandrel bent h pipe but it's basically what I have and I love it. As for a price, I probably wouldn't pay more than $150-200 or so considering you'll be bringing in the mufflers yourself (I'm assuming on the higher end if you're buying tips from the exhaust shop).

·
Registered
730 Posts
flowmasters tend to rust from the inside out so i would be careful... 40k mile in cali though

you should be fine. BUT CHECK FOR RUST to be certain

you can run water through them and strain it into a bucket or something to check for rust on the inside. and no its not bad for them the first good rev you give them will blow any water out :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct. It probably wouldn't be quite as nice as a freshly fabbed, mandrel bent h pipe but it's basically what I have and I love it. As for a price, I probably wouldn't pay more than $150-200 or so considering you'll be bringing in the mufflers yourself (I'm assuming on the higher end if you're buying tips from the exhaust shop).
flowmasters tend to rust from the inside out so i would be careful... 40k mile in cali though

you should be fine. BUT CHECK FOR RUST to be certain

you can run water through them and strain it into a bucket or something to check for rust on the inside. and no its not bad for them the first good rev you give them will blow any water out :D
i might be buying tips from the shop or just have them slant cut the pipes at the end. ill def. check for rust though! thanks a ton. and is there any way to tell what type of mufflers they are? im pretty sure they are original 40s but i just want to be 100% sure

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay so here is a picture of one of the mufflers, the owner said that the previous owner or some deal had them on the car when the engine blew, i dont know if that can cause damage to the mufflers or not, ill take a good look and check them out but i just wanted to ask about that.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
hey mcqueen yould you prefer divorced duals or the h pipe adapter from am both with all four cats...cuz it would be cheaper for me to get fivorced duals vs an h pipe....obviouly becuase of the extra labor lol

i found vids on youtube with stock cats with broken in divorced duals they sound pretty good ( i hate the sound of divorced 40s not broken in idk y) also theres like one vid of flow 40 h pipe but the camera....kinda gives it a bad rep

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
hey mcqueen yould you prefer divorced duals or the h pipe adapter from am both with all four cats...cuz it would be cheaper for me to get fivorced duals vs an h pipe....obviouly becuase of the extra labor lol

i found vids on youtube with stock cats with broken in divorced duals they sound pretty good ( i hate the sound of divorced 40s not broken in idk y) also theres like one vid of flow 40 h pipe but the camera....kinda gives it a bad rep
I think I like the h pipe better. It's a little deeper and less raspy than divorced duals. I don't think I've ever seen a video of the divorced duals with broken in Flow 40s though. Most people take a video as soon as they get their exhaust and never both to do it again :dunno

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
I think I like the h pipe better. It's a little deeper and less raspy than divorced duals. I don't think I've ever seen a video of the divorced duals with broken in Flow 40s though. Most people take a video as soon as they get their exhaust and never both to do it again :dunno
Want a video of my broken in thrushes? I have divorced duals. Yea it does drone a little bit but only inside it sounds like it's droning, when i put the top down it's like a totally different sound lol. It's pretty loud too, if I drive through the center of a town I can hear my exhaust echoing through the buildings, and I still have all my cats and stock manifolds. :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Want a video of my broken in thrushes? I have divorced duals. Yea it does drone a little bit but only inside it sounds like it's droning, when i put the top down it's like a totally different sound lol. It's pretty loud too, if I drive through the center of a town I can hear my exhaust echoing through the buildings, and I still have all my cats and stock manifolds. :)
that sounds pretty sick. im gonna stick with a good ol h pipe though. unless divorced duals is a significant price difference?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Post it up :)

that sounds pretty sick. im gonna stick with a good ol h pipe though. unless divorced duals is a significant price difference?
It probably wouldn't be too much less, but it should be less since they wouldn't have to worry about the crossover.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts