Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got the stock exhaust on a 3.8, can I have the last two cats removed to improve sound? Or is this a bad idea?

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Check out the exhaust thread brosef.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/79415-official-v6-exhaust-thread-clips.html

"Exhaust
- Mid Pipe (divorced duals, H pipe, Xpipe)
- Catback
- Catalytic Converters (regular and high flow)

Thoughts: Great beginner modification. A mid pipe is not needed for an even fire v6 mustang divorced duals may be
ran if you desire. Divorced Duals (two separated pipes), tend to have a louder sound. Xpipe, tends to be more raspy. H pipe tends to be
deeper. This can vary depending on muffler choice. You can also have an exhaust shop custom fabricate a catback,
the only difference is you won't get mandrel bends. If your just looking for a small bit more sound a Y pipe catback is
ok, however this is not the best for performance and sound. with exhaust you also do not want to get piping that is too big. this will cause a loss in backpressure with will cause you to lose low end power.

Catalytic converters are necessary to reduce emissions but create back pressure due to the exhaust gases being forced through a catalyst, and therefore decrease high end engine power. Many modern catalytic converters only produce 1-3 psi of back pressure. Hi-flow catalytic converters can replace the standard units in order to provide lower backpressure. Installing aftermarket catalytic converters is restricted by law in some countries (wikipedia)."

All your answers lie in there.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
You're not really going to improve the sound by just removing the rear cats. Do it right and do a dual exhaust setup with 2 chambered mufflers. You can remove the rear cats at this point if you want, but very few shops will actually do it and the ones that will do it will want to be paid under the table (make them aware you're paying in cash because they can't legally remove your cats).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aight thank ya, ive got a custom side exhaust, loud as heck but sounds like a diesel. What about no cats with mil's?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Aight thank ya, ive got a custom side exhaust, loud as heck but sounds like a diesel. What about no cats with mil's?
how is it stock 3.8 exhaust if you have a custom side exhaust?? and yea i bet it does sound like a diesel throw some chambered mufflers on there man.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
^^

Lol i bet that sucks to drive around.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Or u can throw a prochamber on tht and be more accpetable lol

Give me a few more wks guys and ill have catted prochamber with slps. And windstar to test it...need a few mre pay checks

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
I have to say I was surprised when I went back to stock with mine. Ended up gutting the cats and having a thrush muffler on it. Have to say I was really surprised how good it sounds on that alone. Really surprised. I need to get a video of it sometime.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
Stock y pipe, side pipe no muffler.
wow...that's gotta sound horrible lol

don't feel bad...to test out my prochamber i put side pipes on my sixxer...yea it sounds better then a standard side pipe, but damnit i still hate it lol. thank god exhausts are easy to swap...got a new one ready to go in a few weeks :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
i've found that my dancing lady makes people feel better after i give them my honest opinion on most things :D
OP: "so i spend 14 hours on _____ mod etc. "

6er: hmm thats probably the queerest thing you could of done to your car.... :gay

OP: ":drool @ avatar .... what were we talking about? "

1 - 19 of 19 Posts