Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 lx mustang. A couple months ago I was going to buy a new exhaust for it headers back. I started to take apart the exhaust taking off both tailpipes. Because of a money issue I wasn't able to get a new exhaust for it. So now whenever I drive it i have to drive it with no tailpipes(I don't drive it often). I always drive it with the windows down but because it's winter now that's become an issue. Do you guys think its safe to drive the car with the windows up?

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
Ideally? No, but I drove mine without tail pipes when I first bought it. Never had the windows down either. But if you still have the tail pipes it's not expensive at all to have them welded back on, I went to Meineke and paid I think it was $50.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bro. I was just concerned if there was a going to be too much carbon monoxide in the cab. Kinda a dumb question I guess :p

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
Well driving you won't have much buildup if it's only coming from the ends of the mufflers. Only thing you'd have to worry about is at idle. Now if you have a header gasket leak to then I'd be a little concerned.

·
procrastinationist
706 Posts
It's not a dumb question. When I first got my notch it was suffering from massive amounts of cabin exhaust. It had turndowns on the back of the mufflers and if you drove with the windows up you'd probably drop out of consciousness within a short time. This condition came from a combination of things from completely rotted out Flowmasters to ripped out floorpans (not rotted out, ripped out from a heavy guy driving it for a couple decades with no SFC w/ seat mounts). So, I gutted the interior and ripped off the exhaust. The new floorpans are going in this spring and then SFC and new exhaust. My point is, there are many things that could cause your cabin to fill with exhaust and it is deadly. You will probably have to drive it a bit with the windows up to find out if there is exhaust coming in. It won't be hard to figure it out simply due to smell. Personally, I would always at least have the window cracked just to make sure there was some fresh air coming in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well driving you won't have much buildup if it's only coming from the ends of the mufflers. Only thing you'd have to worry about is at idle. Now if you have a header gasket leak to then I'd be a little concerned.
i think i worded this wrong. it doesnt even have mufflers haha its just midpipe then nothing.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
You probably won't die (okay I'd be really surprised if you did) but you'll probably get a bit of smell while driving. Only way to know for sure is to drive it.

And idk about yours but every ford I have ever driven has heat hot enough to keep a crackhead warm. Just blast it and open the windows a bit

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Rookie advice #1, dont start a project until you have everytgingon hand for the job.
I never get exhaust odor unless my windows are down. With windows up, positive pressure in the cabin, windows down, negative pressure in the cabin and exhaust is sucked in past every bad seal and hole. Windows up, sitting still, you may get odor inside. Id be more worried about cops from the noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rookie advice #1, dont start a project until you have everytgingon hand for the job.
I never get exhaust odor unless my windows are down. With windows up, positive pressure in the cabin, windows down, negative pressure in the cabin and exhaust is sucked in past every bad seal and hole. Windows up, sitting still, you may get odor inside. Id be more worried about cops from the noise.
Ive never had a problem with the cops from it. Ive even been pulled over and they havent said anything about it. It's not as loud as most stangs with aftermarket exhaust on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But anyway people keep telling me a muffler shop will weld the exhaust back on and it shouldnt be expensive so im probably going to get that done this week.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Good, solves your problem. Cops around here would have a field day.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Atleast clamp on some muffers with turndowns, it will direct the exhaut towards the ground and make it sound better. There would have to be some serious floor issues or other leaks to be affected by any carbon monoxide, you'll probably just get a headache from the freakin' noise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts