Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference to buying say a bassani x pipe or just have the exhaust shop weld a custom one on. And also is there a difference in just letting them weld on the mufflers or buying the whole cat back and having them put it on. thanks.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
when it comes to x-pipes yes there is a difference. Engineers spent countless hours finding out exactly where the x should be placed and at what angle and at the size of the pipe. Keep in mind that when doing an x or an h, the exhaust flows across both pipes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so theres alot more into this exhaust thing than i thought. im mainly going for sound since im not going to be racing or anything. Does it effect sound depending on which one i pick or do they do all the testing for power?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
ok so theres alot more into this exhaust thing than i thought. im mainly going for sound since im not going to be racing or anything. Does it effect sound depending on which one i pick or do they do all the testing for power?
Sound is something your are going to have research for yourself...x pipe, h pipe and local custom pipe all have different sounds. Your best bet is search the MM forums, YouTube and also Streetfire. then go from there

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i have been you tubing and researching alot. the one i like the best is the bassani exhaust systems. but the most i have found they have purchased the bassani x pipes so i was wondering if it really mattered to buy it or custom make it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
So what if i get custom 3 INch exhaust on my 2000 Gt ? what would i have to do
All depends on what you want as an end result. If your stretched for money, your better off getting a used h pipe or x pipe depending on your preference. Just please do not put two individual 3" pipes on your car...modular engines do not respond well to this setup.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
well i have been you tubing and researching alot. the one i like the best is the bassani exhaust systems. but the most i have found they have purchased the bassani x pipes so i was wondering if it really mattered to buy it or custom make it.
Well if you have the talent to blend two pipes together, go for it...i'm rather weary of playing around with the x pipe cause if you dont tune it right its going to flow right and its also gonna sound like crap.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i wouldnt do it myself. i have a v6 mustang right now and i had them make a custom h pipe for my flowmaster mufflers. probably one of the best sounding v6s ive heard. so i mean is it really gonna be that much louder/better sound to buy the x pipe and not custom make it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I heard they dont, but i heard if you tune the car once you get 3 inch piping it fixing the problem is that true?
Ok so this part is an opinion...i hope some with more knowledge chime in....

In the old days, we used 1 cam to run all exhaust ports of an engine. On our engines we use 1 cam per bank to run our engines. So since both engine banks are different, we need to equalize the exhaust flow...we do this by either an x or an h.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Would love to learn more info on it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
well i wouldnt do it myself. i have a v6 mustang right now and i had them make a custom h pipe for my flowmaster mufflers. probably one of the best sounding v6s ive heard. so i mean is it really gonna be that much louder/better sound to buy the x pipe and not custom make it.
Personally i think all ford v-6's sound like crap regardless of exhaust...but its a personal opinion...one of those to each their own kind of things. Just spend the $ to get a pipe you like then put it in yourself, its rather easy.

On an H pipe it isn't as precise on how the two flow together...the H is just for equalization. In simple terms, on an X, bank A gets transfered to exhaust B and bank B gets transfred to exhaust A.

Now if you can find a local shop that can ensure that both ports flow about the same, then sure go for it. An X pipe is rather advanced.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok one more. would you say h or x has a louder/better sound? or is it not a fact, just a personal opinion?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
that is a very opinionated question. Since you are just looking for sound, go for the what sounds the best for yourself. You want the loudest, get some electronic dumps.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Is there a difference to buying say a bassani x pipe or just have the exhaust shop weld a custom one on. And also is there a difference in just letting them weld on the mufflers or buying the whole cat back and having them put it on. thanks.
yes there is a big difference... the sound and performance will be different.. and it will be way more expensive... and if you plan on working on your car a lot i would just tell them to put turn downs on your mufflers... it makes it very easy to work with your exhaust when you have to take it down.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so im thinkin about getting the bassani x pipe, bassani mufflers, and 3 1/2 in tips. so the x pipe will be 300 to 400 bucks. Which type of bassani muffler to you recommend? that will be 100 each right? and tips + install. so...800 bucks? thanks guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts