Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come recently from the diesel realm where an exhaust kit is as simple as a straight-pipe bolt-up from the turbo back. Could someone please explain all the following parts, their function, and where they go: stock/short/long tube headers, o/r x/h pipes, midpipes, axle-backs, cat-backs, and any other useful information in this department.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
headers are what run from the engine exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipes, long or short refers to the length of the pipe, longer pipes will offer higher gains.

off road refers to the pipes being illegal (not street legal, only meant for racing) typically because they are either high flow cats or catless. X is what the pipe looks like, it forms an X as opposed to the H pipe which joins as an H. The mid pipe is the x or h pipe, it's what goes from the headers to the axle backs.

axle backs are the rear part of the exhaust, might be more familiar as just the mufflers. These pipes go from the midpipe to the rear of the car (or side if you're extra special ;) )

Cats is short for catalytic converters, they are directly after the headers and are a part of the midpipe usually.

This is the info I've gathered during my own research on exhausts, lol, I'm sure some of the more informed could enlighten or poke holes in my knowledge :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good job AC that pretty much sums it up, with the exception of what 07 said. Something that's puzzled me is why sometimes the o/r pipes are referred to as "race only" or "not street legal" when that depends on your location. Not having cats is only illegal in area that have emissions regs and inspections isn't it?

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Good job AC that pretty much sums it up, with the exception of what 07 said. Something that's puzzled me is why sometimes the o/r pipes are referred to as "race only" or "not street legal" when that depends on your location. Not having cats is only illegal in area that have emissions regs and inspections isn't it?
I dont know, i thought it was illegal anywhere to remove or alter your cats, and just a matter of getting caught in the states that test. either way i think most states its illegal and thats why they are advertised them way.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah, I guess since they're federally mandated, then removing them would be illegal for street use, I don't know. I have to go through emissions testing in my county so I've gotta have them regardless. I guess maybe they're like those tags on pillows that says "do not remove under penalty of law", or something to that effect. :)

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Yeah, I guess since they're federally mandated, then removing them would be illegal for street use, I don't know. I have to go through emissions testing in my county so I've gotta have them regardless. I guess maybe they're like those tags on pillows that says "do not remove under penalty of law", or something to that effect. :)

LOL.

·
Registered
817 Posts
First of this car belongs to me f...k the government.I tell you what they regulate everything maybe they should pay my note at least once for the life of the loan.Emissions,yeah we have it in VA but that doesn't stop anyone.Their always looking for ways to give us heat why don't they clean up some of these power plants that is putting mercury in the water and obviously getting into us from fish consumption and other ways.

·
Registered
68 Posts
First of this car belongs to me f...k the government.I tell you what they regulate everything maybe they should pay my note at least once for the life of the loan.Emissions,yeah we have it in VA but that doesn't stop anyone.Their always looking for ways to give us heat why don't they clean up some of these power plants that is putting mercury in the water and obviously getting into us from fish consumption and other ways.
yeah what that guy said!!!!

it is "illegal" to remove or alter your cats in anyway, in any state! but for my state for example there is no inspection anymore. so does that mean if a cop stops me and wants to look under my car then i say feel free to sir, the pavement is extremely hot so go ahead, lol!!! 9 times out of 10 they will not check. but there are a few a-holes that think they have to....

i have yet to be hasseled in anyway about my loud exhaust... but i also have my cats and have no desire to remove them!

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
yeah what that guy said!!!!

it is "illegal" to remove or alter your cats in anyway, in any state! but for my state for example there is no inspection anymore. so does that mean if a cop stops me and wants to look under my car then i say feel free to sir, the pavement is extremely hot so go ahead, lol!!! 9 times out of 10 they will not check. but there are a few a-holes that think they have to....

i have yet to be hasseled in anyway about my loud exhaust... but i also have my cats and have no desire to remove them!
he better bring a jack and put down the donut if he wants to look under mine. :)

:withhomo

·
Registered
68 Posts
You covered it dude. Except high flow cats would not be considered off road.

i'm sorry for this being off topic, but i watched your video for the first time. and if i may say so your car is sick! i love the way it looks... the stance! i seen you used FRPP springs. which ones and how low? and what else did you use to accomplish the stance? because i was under the impression that it was a pain in the rear to lower an s197!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts