Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok...so long story short, I have an off-road x-pipe with flowmaster super 44 mufflers. I was talked into the x-pipe because the muffler guy said he didn't think he could get h-pipes anymore, since I requested the o/r h-pipe. He assured me that they would sound great with the flowmasters. Since I was new to mustangs, I trusted him. Well 2 years later and a lot of forums about h vs x pipe with chambered mufflers...I'm really wishing I did more research and stood by my request for the h-pipe. Don't get me wrong, I think my set-up sounds good and not as horrible as some make the combo out to be...but I want to get rid of all of my rasp and get that deeper sound.

My question is...does anyone personally have experience with hearing an o/r x-pipe vs an o/r h-pipe in person? Youtube is great for general use, but it truly does not capture the real sound in person. Would I see a very large difference if I switched out my o/r x-pipe to an o/r h-pipe with my flowmasters? I just want to make sure it's worth all the money to get a mac o/r h-pipe (prochamber sounds nice but too much $$$ right now) and get it intalled.

Here is my current set-up with the o/r x-pipe and flowmaster super 44s

[ame=http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/austin101385/?action=view&current=100_0259.flv]
[/ame]

[ame=http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/austin101385/?action=view&current=2001BullittBrakeStand.flv]
[/ame]

[ame=http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/austin101385/2001%20Mustang%20Bullitt/?action=view&current=EasythenMildAcceleration.flv]
[/ame]

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I'm running a magnaflow x pipe with magnaflow resonators and I don't think mine is raspy at all. I would try just switching out the muffs for something else first.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definitely like the super 44 flowmasters...and I'm considering o/r pipes...that's why mine's raspy, but most say the h-pipe eliminates most all of the raspiness of an x-pipe

·
Registered
430 Posts
Your current setup actually sounds really good. I'd go with a mac off road h personally. I'm running a mac catback with the stock h on there now and it's got a nice tone to it already. I wanna go with the off road mac h but don't want the smog nazis on my ass here in Cali. Too many hefty fines if caught with it so i don't know if i wanna make the gamble.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
look bro... you get an o/r prochamber and all your worries will be over! /thread!

Best sounding midpipe that exists!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm running a Mac o/r H and Mac Catback. Its very loud and has a nice deep roar to it. Heres a vid for ya. This isnt me, but its the same setup. My videos suck because my camera is no good.

Sounds so sexy. I bought and installed everything myself. ez squeezy.
Midpipe was about $150, cb was like $330

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm running a Mac o/r H and Mac Catback. Its very loud and has a nice deep roar to it. Heres a vid for ya. This isnt me, but its the same setup. My videos suck because my camera is no good.

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Sounds so sexy. I bought and installed everything myself. ez squeezy.
Midpipe was about $150, cb was like $330
This right here is the EXACT setup i wanna run. Such a deep, nice rumble to it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
yea bro I love it. I get so many compliments on it, and it turns alot of heads. Sounds amazing!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
This right here is the EXACT setup i wanna run. Such a deep, nice rumble to it.
Mac + o/r h sounds like a pissed off t-rex. Even more so with turndowns. ;)

@OP: The difference between h and x will definitely be noticeable. Go buy a summit o/r h for like 120$, and keep both just in case. If you find you like the x more after all, just sell the h and get like 80-120 bucks for it on craigslist.

More than likely though, if you think you're gonna like the h more, then get it.

Oh, and btw, I have had catted h, catted x, o/r h, and o/r x. All with flows and MAC catbacks. So I'm not bullshitting you :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
prochamber FTW!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
i had both an off road h pipe and an off road x pipe with my magnaflow cat back and both sounded raspy. i think the majority comes from the mufflers not the midpipe. Magnaflows sound raspy and i dont really like it i want mac catback like i had on my older mustang. im running a bassani off road x right now and it sounded pretty much the same as the h pipe did

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mac + o/r h sounds like a pissed off t-rex. Even more so with turndowns. ;)

@OP: The difference between h and x will definitely be noticeable. Go buy a summit o/r h for like 120$, and keep both just in case. If you find you like the x more after all, just sell the h and get like 80-120 bucks for it on craigslist.

More than likely though, if you think you're gonna like the h more, then get it.

Oh, and btw, I have had catted h, catted x, o/r h, and o/r x. All with flows and MAC catbacks. So I'm not bullshitting you :)
What kind of catted h did you have? I'm thinking of getting the MRT catted H which i heard is a great flowing pipe for it being catted. It's super expensive compared to an off road h which is why i haven't bought it yet but i'm considering it so i don't have to hassle with swapping a pipe out come smog time and in general not have to worry about police.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
What kind of catted h did you have? I'm thinking of getting the MRT catted H which i heard is a great flowing pipe for it being catted. It's super expensive compared to an off road h which is why i haven't bought it yet but i'm considering it so i don't have to hassle with swapping a pipe out come smog time and in general not have to worry about police.
I had flowmaster 50's with a catted h and catted x. Any aftermarket catted midpipes are technically illegal in CA. So you're really breaking the law either way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think that your setup sounds good. But I love the raspy sound just something different that is all I have a bassani x pipe which the x-pipe flows better i am still stuck on a muffler to run as of now its straight piped and loud as can be but is def mean as hell will cams. just my o2 though

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Everyone has their own taste of sound when it cmes to exhausts.

Try to find some cars at a crashow that you like and then see what their setup is.
But remember your car may not sound exactly the same if you don't have the mods they've got.

I run shorty headers, 3 inch MAC O/R H and Mac mufflers and I love the badass sound of mine, it's loud and everyone looks at my car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.