Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

So today on my lunch, I figured I take a little drive (2.2 miles from my work), and check out a local Mustang shop called AMP Performance. I went into to get a quote on an exhaust system (Headers back). I told them I wanted an H-Pipe and a cat-back. What they recommended to me was Bassani 94-95 GT Catted H-Pipe, and Mac GT Cat-Back. I looked at him kind-of funny at first because my car is an '00, but I got a quote and went on my way. Is that seem right to anyone? Also, I was prompltley corrected that for an '00 V6 it doesn't matter if I use an X-Pipe or an H-Pipe, "They sound exactly the same" he said.

P.S. - They wanted to charge me $480 in labor to install a mid-pipe and cat-back...

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
few things i see wrong here
1. im pretty sure the GT stuff wont work... could be wrong
2. price is a little bit high... i cant see it costin more than 350 (unless u get a borla exhaust)
3. x pipe is gonna sound kinda raspy but the sound is all a matter of opinion

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
you can save money by doing it yourself or w/ some buddies.. h an x are going to sound slightly different power wise, they're not going to make a big difference on your car.. h pipes are known for deeper tones while x are usually associated with higher raspy tones... it is common practice in the v6 community to use the catback of a gt model of the same year.. about the midpipe.. bassani is a great brand, but expensive.. i dont know how the 94-95 would fit ur '00 someone else might.. but for them to be trying to sell you the catted bassani.. and then charge that much for labor sounds like they're just trying to make some money off somebody.. check out youtube for examples of sound.. one of the meanest and loudest setups ive heard on a six is a full mac setup

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
Hey Everyone,

So today on my lunch, I figured I take a little drive (2.2 miles from my work), and check out a local Mustang shop called AMP Performance. I went into to get a quote on an exhaust system (Headers back). I told them I wanted an H-Pipe and a cat-back. What they recommended to me was Bassani 94-95 GT Catted H-Pipe, and Mac GT Cat-Back. I looked at him kind-of funny at first because my car is an '00, but I got a quote and went on my way. Is that seem right to anyone? Also, I was prompltley corrected that for an '00 V6 it doesn't matter if I use an X-Pipe or an H-Pipe, "They sound exactly the same" he said.

P.S. - They wanted to charge me $480 in labor to install a mid-pipe and cat-back...
when you say headers back do you mean replacing the stock ones or keeping them

i dk if a 94-95 mid pipe will work but a 99-04 gt will.

they are wrong about the x and h pipes wounding the same, that isn’t true on a six or a v8, so that is one major strike agents them

and that labor seems high, it is just a bolt in job so at a shop with a lift it should be easy for them.

as an example i hade to have some work done on my mid pipe because the first shop i had to some custom fabing ****ed it up.
the second shop charged me only 90 for taking off my mid pipe, redoing some of the piping, welding it all up, reinstalling it, and patching up my blown out muffler.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was figuring like $250 in labor AT THE MOST!!!

I want something that has a clean Deep growl to it.

I do plan on doing the work myself (I have a $25,000 automotove education), but ALL my tools got swiped at my old place, and my schedule has been so jam packed lately, I figured I'd pay the extra $200-$250 for a reputable shop to do it while I'm at work.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when you say headers back do you mean replacing the stock ones or keeping them

i dk if a 94-95 mid pipe will work but a 99-04 gt will.

they are wrong about the x and h pipes wounding the same, that isn’t true on a six or a v8, so that is one major strike agents them

and that labor seems high, it is just a bolt in job so at a shop with a lift it should be easy for them.

as an example i hade to have some work done on my mid pipe because the first shop i had to some custom fabing ****ed it up.
the second shop charged me only 90 for taking off my mid pipe, redoing some of the piping, welding it all up, reinstalling it, and patching up my blown out muffler.
I mean't reaplacing everything behind the headers... keeping the stocks (As long as they are in good condition, one might be cracked).

·
Registered
46 Posts
i got my 1995 v6 dualed out at a local custom exhaust place
they custom fabbed me a pipe wit cats to a bolt on cat back system for a 95 gt
generic mufflers for a 95 gt (removed 2 weeks later and str8 pyped too quiet)
cost me 490+ tax
no h/x pipe though

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
A GT midpipe wont work because of the different passenger side flange, and also the position. Get a v6 midpipe, and a GT catback. That will work. If your interested in a midpipe pm me and we can talk.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I supplied the tailpipes, mufflers, tips, and the exhaust shop fabbed me a custom h-pipe and installed the system for $150. He is overcharging you.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
46 Posts
i donno if one bolts in or not but if you have a remotely decent exhaust shop near you they should do it for less than 100

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if your dead set on a catted h-pipe then yes.
The only reason I am looking to go with a catted H-Pipe is for emission here in AZ.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I have the Mid-Pipe situated (Thanks to Cricket)... Now I think my last question is... every place I have gone to said I need an extra hanger and bracket. Can some one explain please? I am assuming to mount the other exhaust tip that currently doesn't exsist.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
yes since you are going to be runing a dual set up tou will need more hangers because the v6 only comes with the hangers needed for the stock set up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes since you are going to be runing a dual set up tou will need more hangers because the v6 only comes with the hangers needed for the stock set up.
Dealership part? Where can I get it? Are there pre-existing holes?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts