Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MM Addict
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys i have stock shorty headers, some off brand x pipe and stock mufflers just curious if u guys know anythings about ''FlowTech Purple Hornies'' im wanting to run a budget type exhaust i was thinking buy flowtech long tube headers and run the purple hornies right after it and be done with it. seeing as that is what it is meant to be run anyways

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
alright guys i have stock shorty headers, some off brand x pipe and stock mufflers just curious if u guys know anythings about ''FlowTech Purple Hornies'' im wanting to run a budget type exhaust i was thinking buy flowtech long tube headers and run the purple hornies right after it and be done with it. seeing as that is what it is meant to be run anyways
If you want budget, but used BBK or MAC long tube headers for 75-100 bucks, clean them up and spray them with hi-temp header paint for 20 bucks. Then go to summit and buy their mid-pipe and cat-back for dirt cheap. By dirt cheap I'm pretty sure the mid-pipe is under 100 and the cat-back is about 120-150, I don't remember exactly.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
990 Posts
You're talking a straight bolt on glass pack, not what I would want, will have a very different sound, and probably lose some torque.

All the brands have plus and minuses, up to you to decide what you're willing to live with.

I'm running the Flowtech ceramic longtubes, Flowtech H-pipe, Flowtech starter tubes, to some Thrush welded chambered. Bought it all at Advance auto parts online, using 20% off codes , ended up being under 500. You could do the standard headers for around 375. I decided that route was better then used for me.
With that said...
I had some mid length 1 1/2 in headers, with some straight dual 2.25 in to some dumped flows. I can not say for sure if upgrading my exhaust gave me any performance. The longtubes are kinda a pain. If I were you , unless you are planning on a bigger motor that really needs to move some air, I would just go with a good set of shorties, use your X, and get some decent mufflers.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Not going to recommend the Flowtech Long tubes. I ran a pair a while back and they leaked like crazy, never could get rid of the ticking.

·
Registered
990 Posts
^ I've heard the same thing, and seen ways to fix it. Perhaps it's the ceramic, but mine all fit together really tight, and sealed very good. I was actually quite impressed, as they were better then I was expecting. I wouldn't be happy with leaky stuff, though.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i had purple hornies on my torino. im uploading a video right now so you can hear

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been considering changing from the long tube Mac's that have been on the car about 16 years over to Flowtech ceramic. The Mac's are starting to rust and take a long time to cool off. I also like the solid head flange insted of the individual flange for each pipe (always have a problem with getting one bolt started on each side). I was told that Flowtech is made by Hooker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts