Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In class today I learned about sound DB and the threshold of pain. ect...
It brought a spark to my mind to wonder how many DBs my exhaust, and other types of exhaust pump out.

Anyone test this or have a link to where some of this stuff is?

And can someone with knowledge put an estimate on sound DB of my exhaust, Pypes O/R X into a MAC Catback.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
i would guess 130db...i use do to stereo stuff so im familiar with the db levels and threshholds and what not, to down to radio shack and pick up a db meter...lik $50

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
i would guess 130db...i use do to stereo stuff so im familiar with the db levels and threshholds and what not, to down to radio shack and pick up a db meter...lik $50
Not even close... 130 dB is OUTRAGEOUSLY loud

It MIGHT be that high if you had a bad ass exhaust and put your ear right on the exhaust tip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my buddy had a 71 nova ss (ran high 11s), and the mike was set 6 feet from rear of his car and hit a peak of 128 db. other friend had a stock 71 torino that hit 123 at same distance. so i wouldnt be suprised to hit 130 right by the car.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Woah!!!! 130 db!!!! thats way to damn high!!!!!!!!!

My car hits 118 db with my current setup... with an o/r x and headers i'll hit 121db's. Open headers i hit 124db (and that is extremely loud for any car). We have a meter at my speed shop.

Every 3 db increase is twice as loud to the human ear... so an example... 123 db sounds 2x louder than 120 will... only to the human ear.

My last sub setup hit 154db. I had 2 15'' MTX 9500 in a custom dual firing ported box made by me. It was set up in my 99 5.2L dakota extended cab. It was so loud that you literally couldnt breath at full rms. They were powered by 2 mtx 1501d's at 1335 watts rms each... **** was loud!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Not even close... 130 dB is OUTRAGEOUSLY loud

It MIGHT be that high if you had a bad ass exhaust and put your ear right on the exhaust tip.

we had hearing tests at work paid for by the company. they had us watch a video, it said that our saws which we cut fiberglass with are around 120-130 decibles. and that 5 o'clock traffic can be as high as 120 decibles as well. you'de be surprised how loud things can get. NOW after that we are REQUIRED to wear ear protection. before that day it was only an option.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
we had hearing tests at work paid for by the company. they had us watch a video, it said that our saws which we cut fiberglass with are around 120-130 decibles. and that 5 o'clock traffic can be as high as 120 decibles as well. you'de be surprised how loud things can get. NOW after that we are REQUIRED to wear ear protection. before that day it was only an option.
I don't think traffic can get that loud unless you have all big V8s running open headers:D

Examples of sound pressure and sound pressure levels
Sound pressure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
i know dirtbikes are usually in the high 90s so id expect our cars to be around there stock and alot more with o/r pipes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts