Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys.. looking for some suggestions for changing my exhaust.

Started with a borla stype catback with borla LTH and x pipe. This setup was insanely loud, droney, and pretty high pitched to the point of it being annoying. So first thing I did was swap the stype mufflers for touring to try to lower it a bit. I noticed the drone improve slightly but still wasnt getting the sound I wanted. So I decided to have 2 ultra quiet resonators welded in. This completely eliminated the drone and pretty much any sound under 2000 rpm. The sound above that and up to full throttle is very aggressive which is awesome, but idle and cruise is just embarrassing.

Not really sure what to do with it at this point. Borla doesnt make an h pipe but i could probably get one welded in. Maybe a different axle back minus the resonators would do the trick? I want a nice deep muscle car sound especially at idle and cruise but my original setup was just too loud in a bad way. More like a high pitched trumpet than a deep growl.

Any suggestions at all are greatly appreciated. I should've done more research before doing all this, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Try finding sound clips for setups on a similar car and go from there. An H pipe for your car (shorty H) will work, even if it isnt borla brand. This will give a deeper rumble, rather than a higher pitched whine of the X pipe.

Also, take a look into J tubes. it is a modification done after the muffler, that is essentially a "J" welded on to the pipe, that does not exit. it may cost you a tiny amount of power (1hp or less) but likely wont. Basically these are tuned (in length/angle) to the frequency which your drone occurs at. This way, you can take the resonators out for the loud cruise/idle, but eliminate the drone.

This is one example of the J tube use "https://www.reddit.com/r/FocusST/comments/2bhxza/fixing_exhaust_drone_with_resonator_tube_aka_j/"

If you cant get the sound you want with the borlas, and an H, you may need to swap axlebacks to a different setup. Like I said, soundclips are your friend. take a look at youtube and go from there.

·
Qwik Enuff
773 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts