Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
New to mustangs so I need a little help.. I'm not sure what the stock crossover pipe looks like on these mustangs, but I assume this isn't it. I bought this stang in the spring and have had a couple issues, including scraping on speed bumps and a check engine light. Both of those seem to stem from the pics below.

Here are my questions:
1) what exactly is going on here? Is this an aftermarket X pipe with fake cats welded in?
2) If I get a new X pipe, will the clearance issue correct itself?
3) Arent the sensors usually behind the cats? These are in front, and I'm throwing cat codes.
4) Will MIL Eliminators fit here/correct the issue?

Thanks!!

Andon

·
good with the steel.
244 Posts
Yeah thats not the stock setup.

You have four o2 sensors total. Two before the cats and two after. Those look like aftermarket high flow cats with a horrible weld job.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Where should the second set of sensors be? I followed the pipes back and don't see any
The first set of sensors are right after the manifolds. Second set is down by the Trans mount

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
480 Posts
WOW!! look at all the bubble gum holding them cats on. Thats horrible. I know our exhaust sit low on the pass side but thats just insane.

Yes those are aftermarket cats. like already stated. Looks like it used to be an O/R H and somebody put cats in for emissions or to sell it. But the o2s in the pic are the second set/ which would actually be behind the 3 and 4th cat in a stock set-up.

Best bet to fix the issue is go to an exhaust shop and have that fixed. Cut them out and move em forward, and put an X or H behind them. With obviously putting some new o2 sensor bungs in behind the cats so you can put the o2s back in.

I used to do exhaust work and to fix something like that would be about $150. SO I wouldnt pay any more than that.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,179 Posts
Yeah, def a hack job. I would scour craigslist or the local junkyard for a factory h-pipe to solve your problem for now. Then save up for a new or-x/h pipe or x/h pipe with high flow cats in the future.

·
Registered
154 Posts
:facepalm:

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
:facepalm:
+1 to this lol.

Are you in a state that requires emissions checks? If not get those things cut out and weld a straight pipe in place if you don't want to pay for cats. If you have the money just order a new x-pipe or h-pipe from American muscle or Amazon (I got my pacesetter x-pipe to fit my longtubes on Amazon for very cheap). Then at least you would know what was under your car, lol. That is the worst welding I have seen probably ever. . . I can weld better than that and I haven't welded in a year or two lol.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1 to this lol.

Are you in a state that requires emissions checks? If not get those things cut out and weld a straight pipe in place if you don't want to pay for cats. If you have the money just order a new x-pipe or h-pipe from American muscle or Amazon (I got my pacesetter x-pipe to fit my longtubes on Amazon for very cheap). Then at least you would know what was under your car, lol. That is the worst welding I have seen probably ever. . . I can weld better than that and I haven't welded in a year or two lol.
Live in ohio, no inspections. I might take it in to a muffler shop and ask for a quote. One guy mentioned about 150 to repair? That isn't too bad, especially compared to cost of new X pipe. I ordered some MIL eliminators, hopefully that solves the check engine light. The low hanging doesn't bother me THAT much yet, but I'll need to get it fixed before I start lowering it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
150 will get you a nice new aftermarket x-pipe/h-pipe without cats if that's what you want.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a set of mufflers of my Bullitt and tips if you're interested.

·
What Camaro??
50 Posts
WOW!!! Never seen a horrible welding job like thats.... Get the car to your muffler shop and have a new X-pipe installed fast!!!!!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Look at those welds!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts