Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have these lights..

Chrome Mustang Projector Headlights (99-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

an H1 low beam and H3 high beam.. I want to do a conversion to HIDs.. I've found the kit, but my quesiton is... there is only 1 entry point on the back of my headlights, both bulbs are wired to the same connector.

So if I want to do HIDs on my low will I have to splice something so that both hi/low work? and what if I want HID in both hi/low? Just wondering if anyone had put in HIDs on pro lights and what experience they have with it? Wondering if it makes sense to revert to a stock headlight with a single hi/low bulb and HIDing that?

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
You can buy kits that are hi/low. They are really easy. Plug and play like installing singe beam HID's...

I got my dual beam kit from hidguy.net. I'm 100% happy with them.

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah but that's for a single bulb right? I have 2 seperate bulbs..

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
My headlights are somewhat similiar, you'll have to get 2 seperate kits for the high/low since the circuit will actually switch off power to the low beams when the high beam bulbs are turned on, so I'd just get the HID kit for the lowbeams. They'll be plenty bright lol I haven't used my brights since HIDs went in. Besides, it's a PITA trying to access the high beam bulbs in our projectors.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i did the low beams and fogs only and they are plenty bright i think. if it were me i wouldnt do the high beams for 2 reasons:
1st it costs more and the light isnt brighter, the only change is the projection of the beam is angled up so the light shines higher. 2nd reason is i like the way the headlights and fogs look when they are on together. i got my HID kit from DDMTuning.com, paid about $150 shipped. the cheapest ive seen is vvme.com, those kits are about $45 each but take your pick, there are a lot of places to get the HID kits.

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That's what I was thinking, just do the low beams, but do I need to splice something so the high beams still exist? i was going to put in 3k bulbs for the highs so if I wanted to I could have yellow.. my fogs are yellow too..

If you look ont the AM site you'll see the rear has only one wiring harness into the housing..

I did find some pics that appear to have the housing removed for access to both bulb harness,I guess I will have to do that to wire everything, then reseal the housing with the HID and new H3 bulb..

rear housing removed (I think..)

Here's the install guide for the HID, it's easy with a single high/low bulb..

H3 HID Bulb Install Guide - Help Desk Software powered by DDM Tuning

When/if I do it I'll take pics of the process and let everyone know how it goes..

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
The high beam is a pita to access since it's inside the housing itself. You don't have to do anything for them to still work since the circuit is designed to turn off the lows and turn on a different pair of bulbs when you hit the high beam. I have the H1 kit but the harness didn't match up to the the socket on my projectors. I just tapped the power and ground wires from the incoming power harness, directed it to the ballast, and then to the bulbs. It took me 3 hours to make the passenger side HIDs work since I didn't know what was going on, and then 15 minutes to splice and wire the right side after I figured everything out lol

Feel free to contact me if you need any help with the wiring.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the same setup as u and I am trying to remember from memory because I installed them back in 07. I use the a single kit for the low beams. I didn't have to splice or tap anything but I will have to go out and look at my lights to see exactly how I did it. I believe the connector for the projectors separated the hi and low wires on the connector and I ran the low (blue and black wires I think) to the hid ballast connector. I will check tomorrow an give u a better description.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
Did you have to get two separate kits? thats what it looks like. they should just plug into your wiring harness and that will tell it when to do high and low (thats how it worked with mine so i dont have a clue about yours, just guessing). good luck, those guys are great to work with BTW

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh my bad I've taken another look at your lights, I saw them last night on a tiny cell phone screen. Your projectors are different from mine, my projector connector was external and wired the hi/low individually. I just kept the high connected to the halogen in the housing and disconnected the low and ran it to the hid kit. My hid lows and and halogen highs are wired individually. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys.. I talked to HIDguys.. I can buy 2 kits or 1, just wiring it inside the housing.. like I said when I do it I'll document it for posterity.. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts