Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a decent accurate dial bore gauge without breaking the bank or ending up with a piece of crap. Please share your experiece. The price of these things range from $100-$600+.

What companies do you guys trust for precision items like this? I'm not trying to run a machine shop but I would like to be able to verify their work. It would be nice to check measurments on used parts also to see exactly what I'm working with before taking it to get machined/checked. The ability to know if something is toast before I buy it or spend money to get it checked would be really useful and save me money in the long run.

Here are a couple I'm looking at.

ProformTools.com - DIAL BORE GAUGE 2"-6"/.0005"

Powerhouse Products 2"-6" x .0005" Powerhouse® Dial Bore Gauge

·
Registered
601 Posts
I used to be a mechanic and I hardly ever bought from the Matco/Snap-On guys. I always used Craftsman and never had problems. You can get a Craftsman Gauge for like $90. They don't make their own, just rebadge them ... but use quality sources.

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
^And a lifetime warranty. They always replace my broken tools.
A lot of those "tools" are classed as instruments, and as such, are not lifetime warrantied.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I don't think Craftsman makes a dial bore guage. I saw that sears sells one made by KD. I'm also pretty sure it wouldn't carry a lifetime warranty.

Doesn't anyone on this forum assemble engines? Surely you guys haven't been assembling engines without taking measurements...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts