Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i searched as many threads as i could and i believe i have answered this question BUT just need to be sure before i start buying. i want to port and polish a set of stock heads for my 06 GT but dont have over $2000 to buy new stock ones and the local junk yards dont have any mustang parts after 99. ive read it possible to swap the heads, intake, and tb from an 3v explorer to a 3v mustang, is this true or no? Also does anyone see problems that may come up if i buy a set of 3v explorer cylinder heads, port and polish them, and install them onto my 06 GT?? any help would be appreciated..

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
never heard anyone taking 3v heads off a truck and putting them on a mustang.

if you are going to p&p them why not just use your heads.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i guess if you're just wanting to have some to send in then they should work. the f150 and expedition also use 3v heads for some model years

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
psycho bob - the only issue with using my own heads is im also doing this to learn how kinda thing. im grabbing some junk useless heads from the junk yard just to practice on. if the explorer heads work then im gonna p&p those, put them on, and store my stock heads for emergency use if needed later down the road.

101fng - thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure since it is a truck engine to a car engine. would the heads be different due to low torque needs in trucks and not in cars? im not an engine expert by any means, lol, so i didnt know if the casting, springs, retainers and all that stuff would be different between the two? i figured the sizes are the same so as long as the bolt pattern was the same it should be fine...right?

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
psycho bob - the only issue with using my own heads is im also doing this to learn how kinda thing. im grabbing some junk useless heads from the junk yard just to practice on. if the explorer heads work then im gonna p&p those, put them on, and store my stock heads for emergency use if needed later down the road.

101fng - thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure since it is a truck engine to a car engine. would the heads be different due to low torque needs in trucks and not in cars? im not an engine expert by any means, lol, so i didnt know if the casting, springs, retainers and all that stuff would be different between the two? i figured the sizes are the same so as long as the bolt pattern was the same it should be fine...right?
the reason it has less hp and maybe more tq is because of the intake manifold combined with the cams and tune. everything else will be the same.

and be careful with your port job. you don't need to take too much away. just straighten up the airflow.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i was hoping you were gonna say something like that haha. and i will definitely be taking my dear sweet time with it. thanks again guys for the info and advice, will definitely use it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I ported a set of heads from 06 F150 5.4 3V. Identical to the 4.6 as far as I can tell, they even use the same cams.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5.4? Huh would'nt think those would match but ok thanks for the heads up on that. I'll add it to the list of possible donnors. Which ever I can find first and cheapest wins. I'm wanting to change the cams anyways from stock so once I do get the heads p&p I want a set of the brenspeed detroit rockers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts