Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to make a poll but I'm an e-tard (and not the drug) so I can't find the little button plus I'm too lazy. So I wanted to know, for a 3.8L that's about to start getting money thrown at it, what do you guys think is a better direction. Now keep in mind I want this to be my daily driver, however gas mileage isn't a huge concern, but sustainability is. I don't want to constantly be under my hood replacing a broken this of shattered that (And yes I know that it is all inevitable with modding a stang).

But now the big question. In everyone's personal opinion, which offers better performance to power to daily drivability ratios? Supercharging or Turbo charging? Or twin Charging!? Lol. JK on the last part.

I'm sure this thread has been posted before but I've been searching for an hour and found nothing but links back to Chris's statements here or there and SSSTangs statements of "GO VORTECH!" Haha. So don't gimme that stupid search smiley. :p

I want my car to be fast. I want it to be a "WTF did that sixxer just own me! Haha. he's getting pulled over what a douche" kind of car. But I wanna know which direction is a better way to go. Oh, for shits and giggles throw in cost effective. Why the hell not. I can only get so much money on the corners late on a Thursday night.

-poindexter-

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
i would get a split port swap before any engine modifying or FI
example..10psi single port(turbo) made 260rwhp and 300+rwtq...split port on 10psi avg 330-350rwhp and 390rwtq

Turbo is DEFFINITLY the way to go
better on gas
Faster
cost $30-40 to get more boost or just at a button you can

but i'd split port swap the thing before any FI.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
If you want crazy omg I just got owned buy a v6 fast: 4.3L stroker and a power adder is a must.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha. Remember, ssstang, I want streetability. I got a small block 305 that I'm turning into the beast. And yeah, Chris. I hear ya on the swap. That's where all the money is getting save for right now (Savings account now = split port swap and well basically money i'm sending Chris accoung). Haha.

-poindexter-

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Haha. Remember, ssstang, I want streetability. I got a small block 305 that I'm turning into the beast. And yeah, Chris. I hear ya on the swap. That's where all the money is getting save for right now (Savings account now = split port swap and well basically money i'm sending Chris accoung). Haha.

-poindexter-
Turbo > more power
S/C > power

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
he says that while a supercharger makes more power than he has now a Turbo will make even more than the supercharger

·
Registered
811 Posts
ummm not to jack the thread but how does a turbo make more power? and doesn't a turbo lag where as a SC doesn't?

·
Registered
811 Posts
yea but im talking like an m112 SC. THAT WOULD BE BETTER THAN A TURBO WOULDN'T IT?

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
ummm not to jack the thread but how does a turbo make more power? and doesn't a turbo lag where as a SC doesn't?
turbos make more power because they are more efficient. Using the exhaust gas to condense the are as apposed to a S/C that runs off a belt witch uses the engine’s power to make power.
And the only s/c’s that don’t have lag are positive displacement ones. A good sized turbo will have about the same lag as a centrifugal s/c

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
yea but im talking like an m112 SC. THAT WOULD BE BETTER THAN A TURBO WOULDN'T IT?
Not really...

off the line (if you can hook) yes, but soon SOON after that your going to get sucked up and pulled on hard.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
turbo makes power of the wasted exhaust gas... its benefiting from the cars waste...

supercharge draws of the pulley system... it takes power to make power... you do some research you will find that say a vortech super charger only has like 80% efficiency ratios

where as theoretically the turbocharger compared to a supercharger has 100% efficiency since it isn't taking power to make power

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
Also something i doubt many of you know, you can design turbo charged vehicles to anti-lag, or spool while the engine isn't at peak spool point... kinda cool imo ... when you see cars on WRC that backfire when they down shift most of the time that is anti lag... this can be found on some hard core street applications where kids have taken it to there subbies and such because of its rarity and brag ability due to lack of common knowledge

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Turbos still aren't 100% efficient...

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
Also something i doubt many of you know, you can design turbo charged vehicles to anti-lag, or spool while the engine isn't at peak spool point... kinda cool imo ... when you see cars on WRC that backfire when they down shift most of the time that is anti lag... this can be found on some hard core street applications where kids have taken it to there subbies and such because of its rarity and brag ability due to lack of common knowledge
ya i know you it could be done just didn't know it was so common, I was originally thinking of trying to custom make a set up like that for my car then decided to stay N/A

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
the m112 is robbing power to make power.

Turbo is the only thing i know of that you get something for nothing

your not robbing ANY POWER.
its really only helpful. doesnt hurt the car unless your pushing limits
its the EASIEST way to make power and doesnt go away like nitrous

1 - 20 of 29 Posts