Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my key for my wheel locks, and i have horrible rotos with new brake pads that are going to be torn up, i also have a ir in my brake lines so stoping is a challange, then i go around to try to see if they can be broken off and they said they would charge 40$ and damage my rims, then i called mcgard and they said for next day air and the key it would cost like 40$ then on top of all that i get a fix it ticket for my side tints

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is a tool that most mechanics probably have. Its a socket that you hammer onto the lock and comes off like a normal lug.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
+1 on the tool, but it doesnt always work. if it doesnt work your other option is a air chisel, and ive removed many of them this way, and have never had a damaged rim. i take my time though, and treat cars i work on like they're my own, unlike most techs.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
just find a socket that is snug fitting over it and drive it on with a hammer... worked for me.

you will ruin the socket though FYI

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
lol my tool just broke to get them off, so i went to a parts store and got the tool to put over the socket, and you use a air gun and it just turns it off, it works pretty good, and i guess if you really want you can crudly weld a breaker bar onto the lug and turn it off lol, thatll work to just dont weld thru onto the stud, now im not saying thats a good idea at all but you can do it if you want to

·
Registered
761 Posts
There is a tool that most mechanics probably have. Its a socket that you hammer onto the lock and comes off like a normal lug.
+1 I had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. One of my mechanics that does my work had those sockets that you hammer on the lug,and they worked. They didnt do a single bit of damage to my rim.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
I took mine down to ford and they used their master kit to take it off for free. Other than that try the tool they are talking about, I ended up buying a set and they work great.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I took mine down to ford and they used their master kit to take it off for free. Other than that try the tool they are talking about, I ended up buying a set and they work great.
:yes, they should do it as a complementry service. just tell them you are going to buy their wheel locks, even though you won't.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't know how mine are different, but when I had to take off the stock wheels to put my new ones on i didn't have the lock key. I took a Lug wrench and found a size that fit over pulled up so it clenched then just twisted it off. Worked like a charm on all 4. Try that?

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
i always thoguht most wheels locks were all alike... im wrong arent i?
Why would they put wheel locks on the car if all of em were the same :eek::D

But there are plenty of places that you can go to have em taken off, or do it yourself, and they have already been mentioned.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Why would they put wheel locks on the car if all of em were the same :eek::D

But there are plenty of places that you can go to have em taken off, or do it yourself, and they have already been mentioned.

i dunno my friend that has a Mach 1 has some that looks EXACTLY like mine.

No i havent taken mine up to his car and tried the 'if the glove dont fit' method, but its looks damn close...

oh well :sorry

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
you need to e careful welding and cranking on the lugnuts. theyre tempered and usually chromed which can cause them to snap and send your prybar or ratchet toward the car or you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
do you happen to have the little paper that came with the wheel lock so you can order the except same one? i got lucky and it was in my car when I bought it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts