Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, i'm looking into replacing the factory air intake on my 93 lx. I was wondering if any of you know of any good write ups for building a custom cai for a fox. Did some google searches and really couldn't find anything that helpfull. I'm all about building custom stuff when i can and I can't justify spending the money on a bbk. Imo, they're ugly and overpriced. As well as all the other intakes on the market for foxes. I know someone has built a good one out there. Just looking for something to start with. Thanks for any help. Also, i just joined the site. So here's a pic of my fox. 93 lx, all stock. 80,000 miles. let me know what you think. thanks again.

·
Registered
650 Posts
nice car. Go to americanmuscle.com and pick one up for 70 bones. Looks good and not overpriced.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
If you want to keep the stock look, remove the air silencer in the fender well if its still there and replace your paper filter with a stock replacement K&N (33-2015). The downside is that K&N filter alone cost almost 1/2 as much as the whole cold air kit from American Muscle but... You will get have a real K&N and a stock look if those mean anything to you, and a cold air setup that will perform just about the same as any other cold air intake system for about $45.

·
Registered
842 Posts
made mine. it's kinda a hybrid of the stock pipeing. i used a pc of sheet metal from lowes, a 3'' exhaust sleeve and two silicone sleeves and a 45 deg elbow from autozone. also used a mass adapter from o'rileys for my sn95 70mm mass. my photobucket is throwing a fit and woint change pages. i'll post pics later.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice work. You could just go ahead and grab another elbow and some pipe to finish it off. Too bad I know you probably spent way more than what you would have if you went with the AM one, but you also had the fun in making it, I bet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two thumbs up on the one you made. Looks very clean and not a hack job. I'm gonna browse homedepot when i go this this week and see how much it would run me to fabricate one. If its above $50. Then it makes sense to buy the one off AM and be done with it. Thanks for your replies and good job on the CAI

·
Registered
74 Posts
Two thumbs up on the one you made. Looks very clean and not a hack job. I'm gonna browse homedepot when i go this this week and see how much it would run me to fabricate one. If its above $50. Then it makes sense to buy the one off AM and be done with it. Thanks for your replies and good job on the CAI
Pretty sure just the autozone silicone couplers are 10-15 dollars a piece. Then a $30 specter filter from autozone. That's $50 right there, when a complete intake is $60+ shipping.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
If you want to keep the stock look, remove the air silencer in the fender well if its still there and replace your paper filter with a stock replacement K&N (33-2015). The downside is that K&N filter alone cost almost 1/2 as much as the whole cold air kit from American Muscle but... You will get have a real K&N and a stock look if those mean anything to you, and a cold air setup that will perform just about the same as any other cold air intake system for about $45.
thanks exactlee what i have...lol

·
Registered
474 Posts
There 50 bucks or less on EBAY why waste Hours or mins trying to fab one up? YOu buy the filter at autozone its like 20 bucks and then there cheap couplers are another 10 bucks each and you still need the piping vs one from Ebay it fits rite looks clean and thats IT! 15 mins MAX to install...

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
You just need to be careful about those fake nock off K&N filters, some of them are to small and are a restriction

·
Registered
842 Posts
filter: $ 24.99
maf adapter: $ 21.99 (needed for the sn95 70mm maf)
45 deg elbow: $ 14.99
black coupler: $ 7.99 (two needed)
3'' exhaust sleeve: $ 2.50
the sheet metal,vacum line,and metal screws i already had in the shop. it's usally not about the money with the mods i do. i do them because i love having something that nobody else has. it's the challange of pulling off a well done, functional, good looking home-brewed modd.

ITS NOT WHAT YOU CAN BUY. ITS WHAT YOU CAN BUILD!

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
There 50 bucks or less on EBAY why waste Hours or mins trying to fab one up? YOu buy the filter at autozone its like 20 bucks and then there cheap couplers are another 10 bucks each and you still need the piping vs one from Ebay it fits rite looks clean and thats IT! 15 mins MAX to install...
Some people would rather build there own then buy some junk off ebay. People do enjoy fabing parts for their rides.

OP If you want your own go for the one he made up there^ (or something close) and if you not worried about being original get the AM on for 70$.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts