Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner didn't tell me all of the mods his son did in the short amount of time he allowed him to have it... it has a new pinion seal on it and im pulling around 90 at 6k in 3rd....a friend of mine that has been into mustangs since he started driving drove it and said at a minimum it has 3.73s but it feels like 4.10s....thoughts? I can start off in 2nd and at 10mph go WOT and smoke the tires off easy.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My 3rd tops at about 94-96 but I too don't know what gears are in mine. I assumed stock.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Look in the last few pages of threads for one about 4.10's. There's a gear ratio calculator that cliffyk posted. Also a formula that I added earlier, if you prefer to do the math by hand. The first thing to do is make sure your speedo is correct. You can time yourself on a highway cruise at 60MPH by using the mile-marker posts. It should take exactly 1 minute to travel 1 mile at a steady 60MPH cruise. If your speedo is accurate, the calculations will tell you your gear ratio.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
90mph @ 6000 rpm in 3rd gear with stock tire size is 3.73's. With 4.10's that would be like 83mph

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Speedo is accurate according to my gps, and it isn't chipped. Anyone know why the plenum would have the pony plate on top a golden color? None of the other badges or emblems are like that. It isn't paint. Its almost like its anodized that color.

Shaun, thanks a ton. Nice to know how I was able to pull from a 98 cobra so easily earlier. I was told this awhile back, but it didn't make sense how easily I could pull from him from a 40 roll unless I did indeed have gears.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Rust?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Speedo is accurate according to my gps. Anyone know why the plenum would have the pony plate on top a golden color? None of the other badges or emblems are like that. It isn't paint. Its almost like its anodized that color.
OMG you must have the super rare... Mustang PIMP edition :eek:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heh, im dead serious. Isn't rust. Took some brasso to it and all it did was shine it up. It isn't a rust color. Dunno. Everything else looks like a normal 99-04 plenum. I guess someone got creative along the line before it got to me.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
Speedo is accurate according to my gps, and it isn't chipped. Anyone know why the plenum would have the pony plate on top a golden color? None of the other badges or emblems are like that. It isn't paint. Its almost like its anodized that color.

Shaun, thanks a ton. Nice to know how I was able to pull from a 98 cobra so easily earlier. I was told this awhile back, but it didn't make sense how easily I could pull from him from a 40 roll unless I did indeed have gears.
alot of dealers did things to make their GT's look special...kinda like when you see a v6 or GT with gold badges driving around...:yes

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
do the tire spin trick and count the rotations

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never done the tire spin trick. Quick explanation?

Btw, perfectcircle, seen em live?

·
Registered
11,354 Posts

the pony means its stock

·
Registered
20 Posts
lol... My pony is also golden. Honestly I thought they all came this way. It's just a stock plenum, but I like Maverick's explanation better. I'll make sure kelly blue book adds the "PIMP edition" to their list of mods.

Couldn't tell you about 3rd gear but I've got 4:10's in mine and it runs about somewhere in the range of 2500RPM's in 5th (manual) @ 70MPH. I'd give you more accurate numbers but I haven't driven it in 3 months (My stang is still being stored for the winter :() and I'm starting to forget.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
That link kind of over-complicates things.

Just raise the rear of the car, turn the driveshaft by hand, and count the number of driveshaft revolutions required to turn the tires one full revolution.

3 1/2 turns of the driveshaft = 3.55's
3 3/4 turns of the driveshaft = 3.73's
just over 4 turns = 4.10's

Etc, etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts