Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get something to weld over and o/r x pipe to make it look like I have cats just in case I get pulled over or if someone looks under my car during inspection? The ones I found look like I have to cut a section out of the midpipe and have them welded in. But that is a lot of work and that might cause exhaust leaks and problems with fitment. So if anyone knows of anything I can just put over the pipe without cutting it please let me know.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not just cut a set of stockers in half, gut them, and weld them around the pipes?
Cuz my dad an I were possibly talking about getting a cobra sometime in the future and I wanted to keep the stock midpipe to throw back on the gt and take the x off.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Could either hollow out your stock cats and use them or maybe just use the stock cat heat shields around the piping to look like cats. Thats all I got but, Ive been pulled over about 20 times and have NEVER had a cop look at anything besides the usuall liscense/registration.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could either hollow out your stock cats and use them or maybe just use the stock cat heat shields around the piping to look like cats. Thats all I got but, Ive been pulled over about 20 times and have NEVER had a cop look at anything besides the usuall liscense/registration.
I'm actually worried more about safety inspections than police. The heat shield is a good idea. thanks. I'm saving up money for the o/r x now. also how much louder is it than stock? like to an insane extent or good for everyday driving. I also make two 100mile trips a week in which 70+miles is highway and the rest is roads 50-55 mph. I have the borla stingers on there now and they are loud but not loud enough.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
The heat shield will pass a quick look. But will stick out to the seasoned mechanic. And and off road x or h pipe will be a night and day difference in sound

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
:wtf

You need to change your driving habits.

Or tell us about why you get pulled over so much (make a thread) ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The heat shield will pass a quick look. But will stick out to the seasoned mechanic. And and off road x or h pipe will be a night and day difference in sound
My neighbor had a modded 5.0 with bbk o/r h, shorties, and pypes violators along with a bunch of other goodies. It sounded so sick! i could here that thing idling from inside my house. I want something like that. but his wasnt a daily driver either so i'm guessing i should probably go with the catted esp. driving so much. and the stingers are louder than the violators too. how much louder would a catted x be vs. a stock h?

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
:wtf

You need to change your driving habits.

Or tell us about why you get pulled over so much (make a thread) ;)
I was 16-18 years old with a 98 red Stang v6... I got pulled over at least 15 times for all kinds of bs... stopping with the front end past a stop sign, no front plate x2, tail lights, turn signal, 5mph over.. etc total bs stuff and I will never own a red car again. Meanwhile Ive had my 400hp green GT for about 7 years and have been pulled over 3 times I think

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Was it ever the same officer?

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
My neighbor had a modded 5.0 with bbk o/r h, shorties, and pypes violators along with a bunch of other goodies. It sounded so sick! i could here that thing idling from inside my house. I want something like that. but his wasnt a daily driver either so i'm guessing i should probably go with the catted esp. driving so much. and the stingers are louder than the violators too. how much louder would a catted x be vs. a stock h?
Cats vs no cats will be quite a difference in sound but only a couple hp difference. But its definatly a big difference, you can look up some sound clips on you tube to get an idea

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Was it ever the same officer?
It was definatly small town, red sports car, punk kid profiling... Some was self inflicted, some was not.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cats vs no cats will be quite a difference in sound but only a couple hp difference. But its definatly a big difference, you can look up some sound clips on you tube to get an idea

I mean i really in it for the sound the hp difference doesnt really matter cuz im not racing it. I want loud but ear bleedingly loud and have me get pulled over everywhere i go for noise. people with ricers get ticketed all the time for noise. but I also have a dog that travels with me too. So i should probably put that into consideration and might have to go catted for the dd and maybe save the o/r x for the future cobra. :D

p.s. I also had a red mustang from age 17-24 til this dick hit me and totaled it and have had the gt for about a year. but i would get pulled over all the time for b.s. **** from age 18-20

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
An off road X/H is definatly the way to go if you want loud sound... just have some type of decent catback. In the 6-7 years I had an off road X, I only got pulled over once for noise... and he was just being a dick.

·
Mach1 FTW
2,223 Posts
weld up heat shields if you're worried
+1 to this.

i did the exact same thing with my MAC off-road H. hit the pipe with some satin black and there you go.

but seriously, you can tell my car doesnt have cats by the sound and the smell.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Huge difference in sound. O/r x is very loud and doesnt smell too pleasent. I like the noise a lot its all up to preference. I dont know if youll pass inspection with an o/r pipe here I think as long as you dont have a CEL you will be alright but you can tell just by the smell. Just keep the stock H for inspection its not that big of a job to do 2x every 2 years. Make sure you have a good catback though mine sucks and sounds terrible.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts