Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Engine Desroyer
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car keeps over heating i've changed thermostat,cooling sensor checked fuses and relay. I straight wired the fan to battery and it came on,but wont come on when car reaches temp.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Straight wiring is a poor idea. Your car is equpped with a two speed fan. Look on the front of the passenger side strut tower. See a little black box with only a few wires going to it? If memory serves me, that's part of the fan module. You need to address the fan issue, not wire it straight to 12V.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Straight wiring is a poor idea. Your car is equpped with a two speed fan. Look on the front of the passenger side strut tower. See a little black box with only a few wires going to it? If memory serves me, that's part of the fan module. You need to address the fan issue, not wire it straight to 12V.
I thought the little black box delt with the intake?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
An intake is a mechanical piece with no electronics. An intake is what air flows through. A fan is electrical and therefore has electrical function. I could be wrong on the module I told him to check but I assure you it's not part of the intake.

·
Registered
58 Posts
An intake is a mechanical piece with not electronics. An intake is what air flows through. A fan is electrical and therefore has electrical function. I could be wrong on the module I told him to check but I assure you it's not part of the intake.
I Ment the air intake lol as in "cold air intake"

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Oh. Still no.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The piece Bulloch27 is referring to is an auxiliary fuse box that contains a 30A fuse as protection for slow-speed operation of the fan. If it is blown the fan will not run in slow speed, however it only does so when the AC is on.

There is also a series resistor and thermal fuse assembly that snap into the ECT fan frame:

It looks like this when removed:

The larger green thingy is a low value (2.3Ω IIRC) resistor that is in series with the fan motor windings when the low-speed relay in the CCRM is energised, causing a voltage drop and making the fan run more slowly. The smaller component is a thermal fuse that is in series with the resistor--if the resistor overheats the thermal fuse blows and shuts the fan down. As with the fuse it should still run in high speed, however again it only runs at high speed when the AC is on.

Do NOT hold this in your hand when the fan is running as it will get HOT and likely burn out; it is mounted in the fan shroud so as to be air-cooled when the fan is running.

Some thing else

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
The piece Bulloch27 is referring to is an auxiliary fuse box that contains a 30A fuse as protection for slow-speed operation of the fan. If it is blown the fan will not run in slow speed, however it only does so when the AC is on.

There is also a series resistor and thermal fuse assembly that snap into the ECT fan frame:

It looks like this when removed:

The larger green thingy is a low value (2.3Ω IIRC) resistor that is in series with the fan motor windings when the low-speed relay in the CCRM is energised, causing a voltage drop and making the fan run more slowly. The smaller component is a thermal fuse that is in series with the resistor--if the resistor overheats the thermal fuse blows and shuts the fan down. As with the fuse it should still run in high speed, however again it only runs at high speed when the AC is on.

Do NOT hold this in your hand when the fan is running as it will get HOT and likely burn out; it is mounted in the fan shroud so as to be air-cooled when the fan is running.

Some thing else
Cliffy, that's not what I was referring to at all. But you did aim the OP in the right direction. Cliffy, being you are the electrical guru (and I, by my own admission am not at all the go to guy for anything electrical)... what I referred to is the small black plastic box with only a few (maybe two) wires on the front side of the passenger side strut tower........ This would be adjacent to any cold air intake tubing. You know what I'm talking about Cliffy? It seems that I was wrong in thinking that it was fan related...... please tell me what it's related to cause I'm now searching the rear most portions of my brain.

I'd like to add, for the OP, thank god Cliffy popped in as he can certainly aid you in the fix.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
That's what I said in my first sentence, the box by the strut tower is an auxiliary fuse box for the fan.

"The piece Bulloch27 is referring to is an auxiliary fuse box that contains a 30A fuse as protection for slow-speed operation of the fan. If it is blown the fan will not run in slow speed, however it only does so when the AC is on."

Cliffy, that's not what I was referring to at all. But you did aim the OP in the right direction. Cliffy, being you are the electrical guru (and I, by my own admission am not at all the go to guy for anything electrical)... what I referred to is the small black plastic box with only a few (maybe two) wires on the front side of the passenger side strut tower........ This would be adjacent to any cold air intake tubing. You know what I'm talking about Cliffy? It seems that I was wrong in thinking that it was fan related...... please tell me what it's related to cause I'm now searching the rear most portions of my brain.

I'd like to add, for the OP, thank god Cliffy popped in as he can certainly aid you in the fix.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
hmmm, that looks like a heater fan resistor.

how did you check the relay? did you actually check for voltage on the 87 term? or did you check for the "click"
It performs the same function, but it does it for the engine cooling fan...

There are two relays, one for low speed one for high, they are in the CCRM and are proprietary not DIN standard units, there is no "87" terminal.

The low-speed ballast resistor is not shown as it is considered part of the fan assembly--you cannot even buy one separately that I know of, a junk yard is the best source...

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
That's what I said in my first sentence, the box by the strut tower is an auxiliary fuse box for the fan.

"The piece Bulloch27 is referring to is an auxiliary fuse box that contains a 30A fuse as protection for slow-speed operation of the fan. If it is blown the fan will not run in slow speed, however it only does so when the AC is on."
My bad Cliffy. I see that now. I'm just glad you came in to hopefully aim the OP in the right direction. I quite typically misunderstand what you say because your engineering background boggles my mind! Wish I could retain a portion of the knowledge you have.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I should have been less cryptic as to what I was referencing...

·
Engine Desroyer
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it running thanks Cliff and Bull!!

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I'm curious as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts