Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi speed ect 1 195 on
Hi speed ect 2 200 on
Hi speed ect off 190
Low speed on 185
Low speed off 180

That's what I changed my turn off and on temps...will this hurt anything? I wanna get a 165 thermostat... My car runs sooo much better right before it heats all the way up...so I dropped my temps that my fans kick on and off...that bad?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
reset the setting's back to stock & remove 15* then put a 180* thermostat in & you'll be all set. 165* thermostats are to cold for these cars (if you drop the fans acordingly). I have tried it (ie. 165* thermostat) & it cost me a solid 2 tenth's, switched back to 180* between round's & picked the 2 tenth's right back up.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So put them all back to stock and remove 15 degrees from all my on and off parameters?

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Casper would be the guy to listen to when it comes to how temps will effect track times. On the drive ability side of things ive also seen/read/heard that anything lower than a 180* will cause issues.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...Hmmm... Man I just kno once it get's up to temp...it seems to lose some of the pull... Mainly when its hot outside...I just wanna mainly lower underhood temps... So guess 15 down on all my temps from stock

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
...Hmmm... Man I just kno once it get's up to temp...it seems to lose some of the pull... Mainly when its hot outside...I just wanna mainly lower underhood temps... So guess 15 down on all my temps from stock
That would be because of the IAT not ECT. Hypothetically speaking you could have an engine that runs at ambient temp, yet regardless of that youre always going to make less power the wamer the ambient temp is. If that makes any sense :dunno.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
So put them all back to stock and remove 15 degrees from all my on and off parameters?
yes. the off & on setting's are based off of a 195* thermostat & lowering them 15* put's you right where you need to be for a 180* (you'll need to put in a 180* thermostat to see the gain's though)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well will it hurt to do that before I put the thermostat in?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
wouln't hurt anything but the motor will still be closer to 195 due to the thermostat.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
K sweet...thanks for the info casper... What would be the best 180 thermostat to buy? I don't wanna buy one and it like freeze on me and overheat my ****...

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
can't remember off the top of my head any particular brand, but what you wanna ask for at a parts store is a "fail safe" thermostat, when they fail they stick open not closed. not good for having heat in the winter but wouln't over heat & leave you stranded.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
it'll run a little more than with the right thermostat but it wouln't be anywhere near running all the time.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
'cause the fan's bring the temp of the coolant down & shut the fans off, there's not only turn on temp's but turn off temp's.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I have a 160 But then again i don't think i can get away with running a 180 with the stock 4.6 rad with the Blown 5.4 behind it.but know whos.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
'cause the fan's bring the temp of the coolant down & shut the fans off, there's not only turn on temp's but turn off temp's.
but that only brings down the coolant temp in the radiator if the thermostat isnt open right? i thought that was the point of the thermostat.. so if the coolant temp drops below 192 in the engine the thermostat should close and not allow the coolant to flow and the coolant temp never reaches the fan turn off temp

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
but that only brings down the coolant temp in the radiator if the thermostat isnt open right? i thought that was the point of the thermostat.. so if the coolant temp drops below 192 in the engine the thermostat should close and not allow the coolant to flow and the coolant temp never reaches the fan turn off temp
the fan in these cars is smarter than that, it reads off more than the ECT sensor. in theory you right, but there's more to it than that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts