Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your guys favorite tire for daily driving/track use in terms of dry traction. I really dislike my sumitomo's and want to upgrade to something that hooks better. And i'm getting mixed reviews on nitto's. What do you guys prefer?

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
I really like my BFG KDW II's they hook just fine in the dry unless I don't want them too. Which goes for most tires of course. I really like the tread pattern

By far my favorite tire and about half the reason is the tread pattern. I DD on these, I haven't taken it to the track.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
Michelin pilot super sports.

I love BFG KDW's if you can't aford the super sports. IMO KDW are the best bang for buck.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I really like my BFG KDW II's they hook just fine in the dry unless I don't want them too. Which goes for most tires of course. I really like the tread pattern

By far my favorite tire and about half the reason is the tread pattern. I DD on these, I haven't taken it to the track.
+1 I use the same tire. If you are making any power no street tire will be good at the track. The BFG's are much better than Sumi's on the street.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Whats your budget?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats your budget?
I'm keeping budget out of the equation, because I can just save my money for a more expensive tire. It's not something I need right today, but i'm just clueless as to which tire is best for dry traction on a dd/track etc.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
I assume you just need rear tires?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Whats your guys favorite tire for daily driving/track use in terms of dry traction. I really dislike my sumitomo's and want to upgrade to something that hooks better. And i'm getting mixed reviews on nitto's. What do you guys prefer?
If I just met you in a grocery store and said "I have a fast car"... what would be the first question you would ask? Same goes for tires, Sumi and Nitto both make LOTS of different tires, all offering different levels of grip :D

Jazzer ;)

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
On the back, I run Nitto 555Rs in the summer. They have pretty good dry traction, handle well in the rain and last about 18,000-20,000 miles (depending upon the number of burnouts.) During the winter I run Continental ExtremeContact DWS all-seasons.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've heard a lot about Nitto's too but don't have much hp(262) to refute what I heard.

That being said, I am running NT05R and absolutely love them. They made 1st gear usable again, to a point. From a dead stop they'll still spin but from a slight roll and a "seasoned" right foot, you can get 1st gear to hook hard. I can't give any info on how long they last as I only have about 2K on them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hoosier Quick Time Pro's :naughty:

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I have always run nitto 555s on my mustangs. They hook decent and handle great even in the rain. I cut a 2.0 60ft with them when I had 293rwhp. Now that im blown I will probably go with the MT Drs in the rear.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've heard a lot about Nitto's too but don't have much hp(262) to refute what I heard.

That being said, I am running NT05R and absolutely love them. They made 1st gear usable again, to a point. From a dead stop they'll still spin but from a slight roll and a "seasoned" right foot, you can get 1st gear to hook hard. I can't give any info on how long they last as I only have about 2K on them.
Have you try'd the nitto 555r's?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I am running NT05R and absolutely love them.
I considered them but with that tread pattern they look like they would be terrible in the rain. Probably as bad at ET Streets.

·
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast
5,051 Posts
never heard a single good thing about sumis. my pilot super sports are fan-****ing-tastic. the most expensive tire i have ever seen though lol. a lot of people love those bfg's that were mentioned earlier. i have nt05's. are great at first but mine lost traction QUICK.

·
-- Logan --
2,202 Posts
i have nitto 555's and they are a desent tire... they work pretty well in the rain, but cant hook for **** if a dead stop launch with 4.10 gears unless you baby it, which is better for mpg anyway i guess. But overall i'm happy with them.

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
et streets but no wet driveing and no milage out of them but oh do they hook! not for the dd

·
Registered
380 Posts
How are the Sumitomo summer tires that American Muscle has for sale on their website? The HTR Z's or whatever they're called... I'm thinking about getting a set of those next.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts