Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the pleasure of taking or replacing these emblems? Does anyone know what the easiest/cleanest way to remove them.?

·
Registered
288 Posts
use wire. welding wire works the best. and if ur not replacing the emblem. dont do it. there is a hole on the back side of the fender just so u know.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good looking out. So once i cut the adhesive is it a matter of just pulling the emblem? Or do i have to push it from the inside of the fender? i came up on the running pony emblems at the Pomona Car swapmeet. However, the pin that goes in the fender hole are broken off. Does anyone know of a good adhesive tape/glue that will stick? I have crazy glu, but not sure if i should cake that on just yet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Use two sided tape to stick it on. Body shops have rolls of the stuff.. Dental floss will take it off in case you do not fish.

·
Registered
51 Posts
me and mygrabber07 just painted our badges the other day using strong fishing line. mine were pretty tough due to the age of my car so i used old gift cards and what not. but yes there are holes on the fender, once you get the adhesive off they just pull out. its not too hard. if you use double sided tape, you're gonna have a space between the fender and the badge, i used silicone from fred meyer. just make sure you grab the right stuff and dont be too generous when applying it. that way if you decide to take it off again, its the same way you originally did it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good looking out. So once i cut the adhesive is it a matter of just pulling the emblem? Or do i have to push it from the inside of the fender?
nope u should just be able to pull it off. then use the double sided tape and just stick the new one on. make sure the surface is clean so it sticks better. and get all the old tape off the emblem u bought. if there is any.

there might be some left over tape on ur fender, try to rub it off the best u can. u might need to go to a body shop and just ask them if they can remove it. they have tools that do it. it should take them no more than 1 min so they might not charge u even. just dont try to scrape it off. u will regret it :no

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. I came up on the running pony emblems for 5 dollars. the only thing is that the little pin that goes inthe fender hole is broken. But im sure i can get them on straight.

Now, double sided tapeVSsilicone? i was thinking dble sided tape, but that may leave a gap between the emblem and the fender as mentioned above. As for Fred Meyer silicone, i honestly dont recognize the name so i dont even know where to pick some up. ill do some research.

I Youtubed emblem removal, and found one guy using WD40 and a plastic gift card to take off the remaining adheasive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
fred meyer is just a department store. just go to the paint section of a department store and get some "goof off." its an adhesive remover which works pretty well. let it sit as you're working on another emblem and itll come off a little easier. and when you go to take off the old adhesive from the back of the emblem and on the fender, a rag will take it off a lot easier. just a little elbow grease. we just used a silicone that was used for metals, plastic, etc. and since we live in washington we got one that did a complete seal in 48hrs, but rain wouldnt be a problem after 2 hours. silicone is the same stuff thats currently on the emblems, so youll know itll stick. that and you dont have to cut the tape and what not. just squeeze a little around the inner edges, that way when you press it down it doesnt leak out the edges. we slapped them on and drop off with them 5 minutes later. its sticky stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use to paint cars in my spare time the technic i used is fishing line run it around it and then go to the paint shop ne where that sells automotive paint and get a rubber eraser wheel stick it into a drill should be fine if u dont have air tools the faster the better adesive should come right off careful not to sit in one spot cause u will burn ur paint while ur there get some 3m double sided tape the guys will know what u need when u tell them what ur doing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts