Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DO YOU HAVE TO ANTI SEIZE THE HEAD BOLTS. IT MAKES SENSE TO ME THAT YOU WOULD BECAUSE OF THE ALUMINUM AND STEEL. HOW ABOUT THE ROCKER BOLTS TOO? AND WHILE YOU MIGHT BE THINKIN ALSO THE REST OF THE INTAKE BOLTS THAT HOLD THE UPPER AND LOWER ON. THANKS.:cool:

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
DO YOU HAVE TO ANTI SEIZE THE HEAD BOLTS. IT MAKES SENSE TO ME THAT YOU WOULD BECAUSE OF THE ALUMINUM AND STEEL. HOW ABOUT THE ROCKER BOLTS TOO? AND WHILE YOU MIGHT BE THINKIN ALSO THE REST OF THE INTAKE BOLTS THAT HOLD THE UPPER AND LOWER ON. THANKS.:cool:

why did you type in all caps
and no to ALL
you cannot compress a liquid and in the threads your doing that or attempting to. the only thing you MAY need to do is put some silcone a very little bit at the bottom of the HEAD bolt only. usualy teflon is fine

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sorry bout the caps its late.don't mean to question you but why just a little on the head bolts>? this is what your suposed to do for new head bolts right. im not using old ones or nothin. preciat the advice, just want mine to go back together smooth. and lets all face it its a ford and i'll have to take it apart sometime again before it end

·
Registered
165 Posts
If the hole is blind, put a little oil on the bolt threads to get a smooth
torque reading while tightening.
If the hole opens into a water jacket, put a little sealant on the end of the bolt threads to prevent a water leak.
Torque in proper sequence.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
headbolts are meant to expand, anit-seize will not help, thats why you buy new headbolts cause getting them out ruins the bolt

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
If the hole is blind, put a little oil on the bolt threads to get a smooth
torque reading while tightening.
If the hole opens into a water jacket, put a little sealant on the end of the bolt threads to prevent a water leak.
Torque in proper sequence.
+1

idk about the oil though...if its open to water finger tip the end with silcone throw some teflon on the first few threads then the rest is dry

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Usually you are supposed to put some oil on the head bolt threads and head/washers to get consistent torque readings. As Chris says not much oil because you don't want oil in the bottom of the hole. The torque to yield bolts are supposed to give a more uniform torque reading. Basically they work by getting the bolt in a non-linear region where the force is constant while the bolt stretches.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
ya the head bolts are meant to be one time things... ... they are also built in a stretch design that way you can torque them to a certain point and then from there they will do what they do best

1 - 15 of 15 Posts