Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my ship just got out of the ship yards. Thought I would share a few pics I took of her out of the water and share-Shane

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
i didn't think they'd let you drive an S-197 mustang through a navy dock.

j/k j/k, i had to say it :D

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
its amazing that two props that small... compared to the boat mind you... can move a ship of that size

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Looks cool. Cool experience man.

Why do they bring it out of the water? Do they repaint it and/or do a bunch of checks on everthing before it heads back out?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Looks slow...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks cool. Cool experience man.

Why do they bring it out of the water? Do they repaint it and/or do a bunch of checks on everthing before it heads back out?
Yep, they sandblast the hull and repaint it. Also change out zinc anodes and maintenance on other parts. And it is slow..but when your in a minefield you need manuaverability not speed. Thats why its a coastal minesweeper and not some ocean going ship-Shane

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a baby, even though its the larger of the two ships that deal with Minehunting. Its 224 feet long..and slow. We travel about 13 knots...so slowwww but its not built for speed. Need to manuever in a minefield well.-Shane

·
Registered
48 Posts
nice ship, i work in the Marine Industry as well. I'm an Engineer with the Coast Guard. please tell me they didn't actually paint the props and shafting? why why why?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
OPSEC FTL... man my command would eat me alive for pics like that... but i guess the navys diffrent than the army

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
OPSEC FTL... man my command would eat me alive for pics like that... but i guess the navys diffrent than the army
yeah, every time a submarine pulls into drydock, there's this huge tarp that goes over the screw to keep it covered up so spy satellites can't photograph it

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
yeah, every time a submarine pulls into drydock, there's this huge tarp that goes over the screw to keep it covered up so spy satellites can't photograph it
i mean i really cant see any real daming stuff in these pics exept the prop config.. although i know nothing about ships.. but im just saying

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
it's not really as big a deal on a surface ship. you're not really gonna sneak up on anything on one of those targets. but for a submarine, it's a huge deal...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it's not really as big a deal on a surface ship. you're not really gonna sneak up on anything on one of those targets. but for a submarine, it's a huge deal...

Yup..ours are just diesel engine with regular props. We go a max of like 13 knots which is less than 20mph. On subs you have systems designed to be quiet so yeah its crazy secret.-Shane

1 - 20 of 21 Posts