Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at going FI eventually. It won't be anytime soon but it will happen. This car gets bracket raced a lot. My concern isn't making the car run a record time, it's making it run the same time every run. I've seen TS/Roots cars have issues with this. It seems the engine heat soaks easily and takes a long time to cool down. This isn't good when you're in a round robin situation and you might only have 15 minutes between runs. The track I race at doesn't have many s197 stangs running at it let alone FI stangs. It seems the only FI stangs that show up are there just to test and tune.
Since I have seen TS/roots supoerchargers run, I don't think they are good for bracket racing. Does anybody run a centri in bracket racing? How consistent is it? How about turbo's? How consistent are they?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
If you plan on bracket racing run a Centri. I like the Pro Charger units, and the Novi/Paxton units.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
I like being a personal ad for procharger as I have fallen in love with everything they have sent me. I used to bracket race in Indy with my 91 when it had a KB and didnt have much of an issue with being consistant on my times ( this was with a 5 speed as well ). But most SCed cars I used to run with ( and the ones I see today ) ran procharger units.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I run a Procharger although the car is out of action at the present time it was pretty consistent the times are going to drop off hot lapping it. I would bring a couple of high cfm fans to the track and cool as much as possible between rounds. These cars seem to heat soak real bad even without FI.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Last year, before the complete rebuild, car was setup for bracket racing with the turbo. This included the 4r70w, transbrake, 2 step, and delay box. Consistent runs can be achieved, but at our track at least, if you do not have the right setup, you are at a distinct disadvantage.

Pretty old vid (old times) shows Lance against a motorcycle. His dial-in time was 10.56

video :: bracket2.flv video by forensicsteve - Photobucket

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
I run a Procharger although the car is out of action at the present time it was pretty consistent the times are going to drop off hot lapping it. I would bring a couple of high cfm fans to the track and cool as much as possible between rounds. These cars seem to heat soak real bad even without FI.
I don't see the N/A heat soak at all. So I'll disagree there. 07 Stang runs his hard on tune nights and sees nearly no fall off as well.

As for the fans, that's mandatory with FI cars. Take it a step further and hardwire your cars fans to a manual override off a deep cycle battery. Use it in the pits as well as staging lanes with the hood popped.

I've hot lapped my car and not had issues. I am however controlling my ait's by hosing down the intercooler with nitrous before, during (off window switch) and after my passes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think your bigger problem will be consistency with a stick.
Almost every car running brackets for money is an auto for a reason.Those automatics are very hard to beat.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think your bigger problem will be consistency with a stick.
Almost every car running brackets for money is an auto for a reason.Those automatics are very hard to beat.
That's why I have a TH350 being built right now. Hope to pick it up next week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts