Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i was wanting to add a fiberglass cowl induction hood on my mustang. Most of the hoods i have seen say they require hood pins, which i would prefer not to have, i think they look bad. Has anyone istalled one on their mustang without the pins? Any issues? I was hoping they put them as a requirement due to potential lawsuits.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I had the H.O. Fibertrends 4" cowl at one time, with no hoodpins, and it moved less than the factory hood. Another one that I would trust without hoodpins would be the Cervinis. The hood latch area is very well reinforced on both of those hoods.

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
i have a VIS carbon fiber cowl hood which has a fiberglass bottom. no issues as of yet without running pins but i havent been running my hood very long. the latch opening seems reinforced very well.

most after market hoods will say they require pins even if you dont need them cause if it does fly up and hit your windshield theyre not liable.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Here's what I kind of worry about with carbon fiber hoods that have fiberglass frames. This is a Boss hood BTW: (well, the bottom half of one)

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
that must have been a shitty ass hood(assuming it flew off while driving) cause i have yet to see a carbon fiber hood that doesnt have a fiberglass bottom.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Well, I'm kind of picky about what brand of fiberglass hood I would use because of stupid problems like that as well. Cervinis, HO Fibertrends and Kaenen are trusted in my mind.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I've been running a Cervini 95 Cobra R hood (3 1/2" cowl) for 3 years and probably 50,000 miles without hood pins. I know that its good up to 120 mph.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Like Bullitt said, H.O, Cervinis, or Kaenen are the only hoods I trust. Mine is a 2.5in H.O. hood.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hood pins are cheap insurance and I dont think they look bad. Personally I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have a cervinis cobra r hood on now but havent got around to putting pins in it yet. I trust it for around town and the occasional highway trip cuz I dont speed with it, but I would feel better with them at the track. I'd hate to get to the end and something happens.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I've been looking around and there was a guy with an SN95 Mustang (IIRC) that had hood pins installed in a different way. The stud was attached to the hood by the hood latch and he drilled holes in the radiator support or something for the studs to go through when he put the hood down. Then he reached through his grille area to put the pins in. Something different and it's something you might want to do if you don't like the look of regular hood pins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts